September 2012 Archives
NOTICE: Planned Maintenance Production Outage – Saturday September 22nd.
During the morning of Saturday, September 22, a maintenance event will occur in the Production South Street Shrewsbury Data Center. This event will result in multiple services being offline as noted below. This is an expansion of a normal monthly maintenance window. It has been expanded due to the amount of work required and the estimated time to complete
WHAT: All services housed in the production South Street Data Center will be unavailable.
WHEN: Saturday September 22, 2012 from 4:00 am until 12 noon.
WHY: Primarily UITS will be upgrading data storage software and introducing new equipment into the data center. These changes will provide enhanced performance and reliability for the applications in the data center.
IMPACT to SA Supported applications: From 4:00 am until noon on Saturday September 22, services in the Production, South Street, data center will be unavailable. This includes:
• SA Production PeopleSoft (iSiS)
• Parent Access (UShare)
• u.achieve, u.select
• R25 (BookIt)
• RMS (Housing Gateway)
• E-mail to umassp.edu. We will not be able to respond to any e-mails for part or all of this downtime window.
Yesterday afternoon, at approximately 4:45 PM, the University Information Technology Services (UITS) data center experienced a software failure at the storage level of their infrastructure. Unfortunately, although they designed their systems to be redundant and able to withstand this type of event, that wasn’t the case in this situation. Although roughly half of the (redundant) servers were not directly impacted, users could still not access many of our applications. UITS escalated to the vendor immediately and their technical team was fully engaged to resolve the situation. Systems were starting to come up around 9:00 PM, that process continued for 1-2 hours. UITS and our Lowell campus resources will review this event thoroughly and will incorporate changes to systems and operations as appropriate.
All IT groups sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and disruption this event caused.
If you have suggestions on how Lowell can better manage these outages, please email our Administrative Systems Integration team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadlines for Changes in Course Registrations
FALL Semester 2012
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Please note that undergraduate students in both day and Continuing Education must
use a permission number to add into a course after September 11, 2012*. Graduate students
may add courses through September 18, 2012.
Waitlist ends September 11, 2012
The waitlist function for all courses (Graduate, Undergraduate, Continuing Studies) will end September 11, 2012. Undergraduate students in both day and Continuing Education must use a permission number to add into a course from September 12, 2012 to September 18, 2012. All students must use a permission number to add into a closed course.
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
- This is the last day to add into courses with permission number for undergraduate students
- This is the last day to change course status to pass/no credit – undergraduate students
- This is the last day to drop courses and not pay tuition and fees – all students
- This is the last day to change course status to audit – all students
- This is the last day for graduate students to add a course with or without permission number
What a Permission Number will do:
- A permission number will allow a student to register or add into a course if the student does not have the pre-requisite course listed on their ISIS transcript.
- A permission number will allow an Undergraduate student to register for a Graduate course.
- A permission number will allow an Undergraduate student to register for a closed Undergraduate course if that course is numbered 300 or above (Jr/Sr level course).
- A permission number will allow a student to register for a Continuing Education(evening or online) course if that course is closed
- A permission number will allow a Graduate student to register for a graduate level course (courses at the 500 or above level) if that course is closed.
How to Obtain a Permission Number:
Undergraduate students in the College of Fine Arts/Humanities/Social Sciences, the College of Engineering and the College of Sciences must see the department chairperson to obtain a permission number. Undergraduate students in the College of Management and School of Health and Environment must go to the Office of the Dean of the College to obtain a permission number.
Graduate students taking graduate courses may obtain a permission number from the instructor or department chairperson of the course. Please note students taking the Graduate Autism courses and need a permission number must contact Dr. Richard_Siegel@uml.edu to obtain a permission number.
Students taking Online or Continuing Studies courses may obtain a permission number from the instructor or department chairperson of the course.
What a Permission Number will not do:
- A permission number will not allow a student to register or add an undergraduate daytime freshmen/sophomore level (100 – 200 ) course that is filled. An academic petition, found at: http://www.uml.edu/registrar/docs/academicpetition.pdf with the signature of the instructor and the College Dean and presented to the Registrar’s Office during the add/drop period will allow a student into a closed freshmen/sophomore level undergraduate course.
- A permission number will not allow a student to register or add into a course if the student has a service indicator (hold) flag. Probationary holds will not prevent students from registering.
- A permission number will not allow a student to register or add into a course beyond
the academic calendar dates.
- A permission number will not allow a student to register or add into a course if the student is not enrolled in the co-requisite course.
- A permission number will not allow someone to register if they are not an active student
at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
If a student is not on the class roster as enrolled they are not registered and will not receive credit or grades for the course. Please check your schedules and be sure to withdraw from any courses that you were not intending to enroll in.
*See the academic calendar for courses starting March 2013.
Best wishes for a successful Fall 2012 semester.
Patricia A. Duff
University of Massachusetts Lowell
883 Broadway Street
Lowell, MA 01854