Filming at 10,000 ft.

I never imagined how difficult it could be to lug around about 50 pounds of camera equipment until I needed to carry it up a really tall flight of stairs, and back down repeatedly, at 10,000 ft. above sea level. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely other locations that are at higher altitudes, but I am definitely getting winded by the time I'm up the stairs.

Allow me to put that altitude into perspective for you. When I look up, I see nothing but layers of blues with each layer getting progressively darker as I keep looking up until I look straight up into the air and I see nothing but a sea of violet. When I look down the side of the mountain, there are a couple hundred yards of cliffs and steep hills and then they hit a floor of clouds. At sunset, you look down at the sun and everything around you looks like it has been painted in fire. The view here in Huanchay-Huaraz is completely stunning.

Those views are some of the things I caught on camera so far. Other things include the work being completed by Richard and Kevin. I've filmed them taking apart a windmill as well as constructing a tower for a solar-heated water tank.

I must say, however, the most interesting thing I have filmed was a pack of stray dogs chasing down mototaxis after midnight. I needed to avoid a shifty looking man, a transvestite that was hitting on me, the dogs themselves, and the driver of the mototaxi (he was not too happy that I had filmed his torment), but I got the footage. Then when I sat down to look it over, I realized that my white balance was really off. My heart sank. All that hard work and the footage looked horrible because I didn't set one thing properly.

Since then I have been much more careful with white balance and everything else. I want the footage I capture to accurately represent what I see, whether it be stunning mountain vistas or dogs on a hunt.

Categories

,