"El Balcon del Pacifico"

My previous post was written in Huanchay-Huaraz and this post is being written in Malvas, "El Balcon del Pacifico." Malvas is yet another town approximately 10,000 ft. above sea level, but unlike Huanchay-Huaraz there is a lot more walking, in other words, I'm out of breath for most of the time.

So, how did I get here? Well first off we took a 3 a.m. bus out of Hunchay-Huaraz only hours after my last post. After three hours in the bus we stopped in Turripampa, where my group helped move a windmill. After that we spent an hour in an asparagus truck to get to another town (the name of which I do not remember) to repair the water pump for a canal system. That was followed by another hour in an asparagus truck to get back to Turripampa then after spending some time deliberating on the next steps of the journey we spent over an hour in the asparagus truck to get back to Huarmey.

Once we reached Huarmey and got to the hostel, Maia (the only person from the crew who had been in Huarmey when we arrived) comes down the stairs excited because she heard people speaking English and knew it had to have been us. She began giving us hugs hello, but cut them short saying, "Eww you smell."

Chad (and possibly others) have mentioned in this blog that after all the traveling, working, and lack of showers, we generally arrive in Huarmey a bit smelly and always dirty. Needless to say, a shower is the first thing to happen, followed by food, when we reach Huarmey. And that bit of comfort was much needed for the next day's work.

Kevin, Ricky, and I got breakfast at the juice bar around 6:30 and then grabbed the 7:30 bus, which didn't leave until 8:30, to head to Malvas. It was a four hour bus ride that brought us to another one of Peru's mountain towns.

In the beginning of this blog post when I mentioned we were in Malvas I typed out it's nickname, "El Balcon del Pacifico," which translates to "The Balcony of the Pacific." It's called that because when you climb to the top of the town you stare out through the mountains and over the Pacific Ocean. It's a stunning view.

Unfortunately, even though the town has excellent views, the internet is not so great. Apart from this blog page and Google, practically nothing else loads (including most email servers). So, while I feel slightly disconnected from everyone back home, this blog should ideally give people an idea of what types of things the Peru Crew is experiencing.

We should be done with our work in Malvas tonight, but there is no bus for Huarmey until Wednesday morning, so tomorrow (Tuesday) we are planning on taking a hike. We have a few options but choose one. The first is a short two hour hike up about a thousand ft. for some great views of the surrounding mountain range. The other two options are each about four hours along, climbing about 3000 ft. each to either see former homes of the Inca people or to see one of the most beautiful lakes of Peru. The Inca homes will be interesting, but the lake supposedly has a curse. The group of us really want to see that cursed lake (but I already can't breathe after hiking through the town for an hour, I'm still trying to figure out how the four hour hike will work, donkey maybe?).

After that we'll have two more days in Peru, leaving Thursday night and arriving in the U.S. early Friday afternoon. So far the trip has been awesome and all of the groups have done a lot of work. I expect the next few days to be a great end to our time in Peru and a chance to buy the souvenirs everyone back home has been asking for.

Categories

,

patti Donovan (KEE) said:

Thank you so much for fabulous blogs, your great details helps me to in-vision what the country looks like. I'm thrilled that everyone is safe and having a great time. And I dont care how smelly Ricky is, I cant wait to see him and hear about his adventure. Enjoy the last few days.
Patti