Move-In Day and Opening Week

Opening week has been amazing! 

Move-in for freshman was on Saturday August 29 and if you all remember, it was pouring!  The entire day went by very smoothly and move-in was very organized.  UMass Lowell had tons of volunteers ready to help unload cars and bring stuff to the dorm rooms.  I was all settled and unpacked in under an hour.  Other activities on the 29th included an inspirational speaker named Ed Gerety and a Casino Night.

On Sunday, upperclassmen moved onto campus.  A couple of friends I made over the weekend and I took a drive to the mall and Nashua, but somehow ended up getting lost in Dracut. (I have no idea how we pulled that one off!) But somehow we reached Nashua and got some stuff for our rooms.  I bought a Ferris Bueller poster, which is one of my favorite movies of all time.  Also on Sunday, another new friends and I explored downtown Lowell and even went in some of the art museums.  Iím usually not that interested in art, but I thought it was pretty cool.  I would add some pictures, but unfortunately, I left my camera in my room.  Sunday was a great day.

On Monday, the same new friends and I drove to Kimballís Ice Cream in Westford, Massachusetts.  One of my friends bragged about it so we decided to take a road trip.  I had Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip and it was amazing!  If anyone wants to take a ride, I highly advise you to go to Kimballís.

On Tuesday (Today), we had our convocation.  It is literally the complete opposite of Commencement.  The university and faculty welcomed us, the Class of 2013!  There many speakers, but the keynote speaker was Reverend Dr. Jamie Washington.  The marching band played the usual commencement tune (I donít know the name of it, but everyone has heard it at graduations) and the faculty even wore their commencement robes.  Immediately following convocation, there was a BBQ and a club fair.  This was where incoming freshman could see/join the 80 clubs the university has to offer. Like I mentioned in an earlier blog, I did join the Ultimate Frisbee club.  In the afternoon, there was an event called ďRiverhawks on the RoofĒ.  It was a BBQ on the roof of the parking garage on East Campus overlooking LeLacheur Park, home of the Lowell Spinners.  The park is literally on East Campus, right across from the Recreation Center.  Later, my friends and I went to the Spinners game.  It was awesome!  We had like 30 of us and we were easily the loudest section in the whole park.  (Section 100!)  We never stopped chanting for 3 hours and half of us even lost our voices.  I just got back from a great night, but unfortunately, classes start tomorrow, although you wouldnít have known that fact as we kept chanting even after we left the stadium and while we walked across campus.

If anyone is nervous about making friends, donít be!  Iíve already made so many great friends and itís only been 4 days!  And remember, everyone is in the same boat as you.  You are all at a new school and do not know many people.  Just be yourself, keep your room door open and people will walk into your room and introduce themselves.  And donít be afraid to walk into other open doorways and introduce yourself!  Now, Iím back in my room, writing this blog and preparing for classes tomorrow.  Even though itís been a short time, I already feel like UMass Lowell is my home.  Although the last couple days were a blast and a great way to start college, Iím looking forward to starting class and beginning a new chapter in my life.  Wish me luck!

For a full schedule of opening week events, look here: http://www.uml.edu/openingweek/schedule.html