O2K9 :)

Hey everyone,

So if you're a frequent reader, you're aware that I'm an RA. What you might not remember though, is that i'm an OL, or Orientation Leader. Well I got re-hired as an OL in November, but the last week in February was Orientation Leader Selection for new hires. Well, Orientation got a record number of applicants, 54!! That's crazy! 

Selection weekend is just that, a weekend full of interviews. First day was a group interview. It is really just a day full of games and fun activities where you can showcase your personality. Second day is a formal interview with a senior staff member. Letters are available a few days later saying if you got hired as an OL, an alternate or not.

If you're a true reader and read my blog last year, you'll remember that I got an alternate spot. An alternate spot means that you were awesome but there just aren't enough spots to hire you right away. Last year we all got hired onto the OL staff. I remember getting the e-mail saying "do you want to be an OL this summer?" and I SCREAMED and jumped around with excitement.

As much as I love being an RA, being an OL is the greatest job. Basically you get paid to have fun and be a big goofball all summer. You get to yell and dance and be in skits (and sometimes we even get to Karaoke). You also get to work with some of the greatest people around. After being an OL this summer, my decision to go into College Student Development or Higher Ed was pretty much confirmed. I remember thinking "I can do this forever, like I can make this my career?!" and I was sold. Who doesn't want to have fun for the rest of their life?!

So if you're an incoming student or the parent of an incoming student, I will see you at Orientation this summer. Bring a smile and some energy, because it will definitely be a great experience. You'll learn some things, make friends and pick classes for the fall (and a whole lot more that is TOP SECRET and you just have to wait for the summer to find out!)

Thanks for reading,
Sam

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: O2K9 :).