Thesis Madness

|
Hi guys, 

I hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend. I've been taking advantage of this weekend to do as much school work as I can. I only took Saturday off to go Paintballing with SHPE. Since I'm the president of the club I decided to have a social activity with all the members so we can have fun and at the same time get people interested to take a leadership role in the organization. Right now the e-board members are only graduate students and we need to find a new e-board for next year. Paintballing was a fun activity and we really enjoyed ourselves. It was really relaxing to me and made me forget  for a moment all the school work I have. 

Since I took Saturday off I needed to come back to work on my thesis. The main purpose of my thesis is to find a new way for medical imaging. There are many technologies available for medical purposes such as X-rays and MRIs. However, These technologies have been found to be not too good for the health of human beings. X-ray radiation can modified the DNA of human beings. Being exposed to such technologies can reduced the health of a person. 

In my research lab we have been looking for ways on how to substitute x-rays for something less dangerous. We have found that infrared technology helps to see through human tissue but the final image is very noisy. Here comes the main purpose of my thesis, in order to reduce this noise I'm looking into ways to still keep using infrared light but reducing the scattering. This way more information can be obtained from the human tissue when looking at it. 

At first my thesis was to find a new method to measure the blood pressure of a person by looking at the pulsation of the blood vessels. However, it was very hard to see this pulsation with a CCD camera. For this reason, I had to switch gears and take my thesis into a different direction.  Now, I'm running multiple test to show that my way reduces the noise of the image when looking through human tissue. Once I get results I will be able to start writing my thesis and get it done by the end of next month which is the deadline. 

I just wanted to share with you guys a brief description of what I'm trying to accomplish for my thesis. I can't wait to finish it and defend it by the end of semester. I'm really looking forward to that moment ;)

~ Paula

This page contains a single entry by Bustos, Paula A published on February 21, 2011 11:24 AM.

A lot of work? Take a moment to relax... was the previous entry in this blog.

No time to relax is the next entry in this blog.