USASEF Expo 2010

|
Hello guys,

This past weekend I was in Washington D.C helping out in one of the UML exhibits at the USA Science and Engineering Festival. This festival had more than 700 booths from schools and companies around the USA, even Mythbusters were there. I was helping out in the group called "Service through Engineering" which represents both the SLICE and the Assistive Technology Program here in school.  It was a pleasure of being part of this activity, especially because the main purpose of this festival was to increase the interested of kids and youth in science and engineering.
The mission for this festival was:

"Our mission is to re-invigorate the interest of our nationís youth in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) by producing and presenting the most compelling, exciting, educational and entertaining science gatherings in the United States."

In our booth we had two projects:

1. The first one was a "Pill Maker" in which kids and also adults had the opportunity to make a dye indicator pill for the Peru Project. This pill helps people in Peru to drink bacteria-free water because the color of the water after this pill in put in it indicates whether or not the water still has any bacteria in it. At first, the pill turns the water blue and after it's been exposed under the UV rays of the sun, the water turns back to it's clear color indicating the water if safe to drink.

2. The second project was a "Voice Recognition System" in which by using only voice commands the users turn on and off either of the three items we had displaying. We had a fan, an aquarium and a lamp. People were very amazed with this project. Kids were the best, their faces were priceless when they turned the objects on and off by only using their voice. They were really excited and they couldn't believe what was happening. I will never forget their faces. They always put a smile on my face.

I had a very long weekend and we worked very hard for long hours but it was very worth it. I'm so happy I was asked to be a participant in this festival. It was an experience I'll never forget and I would be more than happy to do it again.

Here's the website in case you guys are curious to know more about it: http://www.usasciencefestival.org/

See you next week!

This page contains a single entry by Bustos, Paula A published on October 25, 2010 11:56 PM.

"College is the best time of your life" was the previous entry in this blog.

Use Dropbox.. A cool tool to stay organized is the next entry in this blog.