Capstone and Commencement Ceremony

Hi all,

I hope you guys are enjoying your summer.. So far I've had a pretty good one.. Finally I had time to relax and enjoy the beautiful weather without worrying about school.. Today I want to share with you guys what happened last week: Capstone delivery and Commencement ceremony 

Last week I mentioned I finally finished my Capstone and the paperwork required to graduate. Today I want to give you a small description of what my capstone was all about and what happened the day I delivered it.

My capstone project was called the Bubble Arm Ergometer which is an exercise machine used by disabled adults with limited attention span. This device was comprised of a bubble tube and a peddler. It can be used on top of a table or on the floor. My capstone project included a water panel that provides a display of lights and bubbles that visual reinforce the users. As long as they pedal they can enjoy a show of lights and bubbles rising to the surface of the water panel. The Bubble Arm Ergometer also included an MP3 player that enables the user to listen to music while exercising. The adults who daily visit Bridgewell, the center where I delivered my capstone to, have poor motor skills and usually spend their day sitting. The main purpose of my capstone project was to promote fitness for the clients in this center by improving their overall health and body strength. Everyone at Bridgewell was very excited when they saw my project and they loved it. They said I followed every detail and requirement. I was very happy to hear them talk and see their smiles; they even asked me if they could give my name to a PR agent she can write an article about my experience with capstone and Bridgewell.

Also, I had a great time during graduation… It was very nice to share that moment with the people who I’ve been with for the past four years, especially my best friends Carlos and Simon… I had the opportunity to share this moment with my family, my best friend from Colombia, my boyfriend, my sister’s boyfriend and my mom’s friend. The ceremony was great, we had great speakers.. Also, my friend Allison delivered the Commencement speech which in my opinion I think she did a great job. Allison touched main points about UML and activities going on during the academic year…

The ceremony ended around 1pm and then we went to the white tents to meet with the department faculty and other classmates… I enjoyed taking pictures with everyone and wishing them the best in their future endeavors.

I’m very happy of being part of UML, it was a great experience which I will be living for the next year. I’ll be back later this week from Florida.. I’m going on a small trip with my family.. Enjoy the rest of the week and thank you for reading my blog.

Anonymous said:

For me the pursuit of knowledge should be geared towards giving back like this. Many forget to even look back and go to a self serving path.

This page contains a single entry by Bustos, Paula A published on June 1, 2010 7:50 PM.

I'm done! was the previous entry in this blog.

It's party time.. It's my birthday! is the next entry in this blog.