Is this high school? It seems like it.

When I graduated back in May or June, I realized life would be totally different. I would be going to Umass Lowell, and I would learn about subjects that interest me. For the most part, this has been true. My grades were pretty good after the first semester, and it felt like I definitely got my money's worth.

So far this semester has felt the same, with one exception. Intro to Sociology. I came into this class on the first day with hope that it would be an exciting and interesting topic. Within the first ten minutes, the professor was already teaching to the 200+ students in the very large lecture hall. He was not equipped with any sort of microphone or speakers and made it a point to not speak. We listened.

Now this class was different. We started off almost immediately in a topic about the working class. This time, the professor had a microphone and speakers, so even the furthest student could hear him.

About halfway through the lecture, the professor stopped speaking mid sentence, and yelled "Get out!" into a crowd of seated students. "You were talking. Get out." No one moved, or even got up. "Okay. I'll walk up there and point you out to everyone."

So the professor walked up the stairway/aisle, and up to the student, and pretty much made it his mission to harass the student until the student walked out.

This was not the only time during this class in which the professor stopped to embarrass and harass a student. It happened three times, and none of these times were the students really even talking. If anything, they were whispering. I was closer to a group of whispering students, and I couldn't even hear them. There is NO way the professor could have heard them. They were not distracting, and they were being respectful to the surrounding students by whispering.

So this whole thing really makes me mad. I'm not paying 20 grand a year for my professor to stop class four to five times every Tuesday/Thursday in order to kick students out. He needs to teach the students who actually want to learn and stop attacking those who don't care as much.

My rant of the semester.  Stay tuned for calmer material.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Is this high school? It seems like it..