Friends , or Co-workers?

So I'm in the middle of writing an essay that has opened my eyes to my future in the business world. The topic may be surprising to you. "Friends in the workplace". Believe it or not, having friends in the workplace is actually a good thing. The following is only a summary, and has only a few points that were made in my essay.

I started my essay with a scenario. Imagine being employed at a fast food restaurant as a cook. A second cook is hired, and he quickly becomes your friend. As you two are cooking, he tells you that your food is being overcooked, and suggests you take it out of the fryer a minute earlier. You listen, and you're instantly the most productive cook in the restaurant. As a result, you are promoted, given a raise, and recognized as employee of the month.

Although this particular situation is unlikely, friends can help you in many ways. The reason I'm writing about this is because I feel like they can benefit students also.

For example, if you create a study group with your friends, you could probably get a lot of work finished. They can help you by proof-reading an essay, or even guiding you through a homework problem.

Hey! You can even benefit from trying to do better on a test than your friend. This type of friendly competition has been my personal favorite. If I earn a better test grade than my friend, I will continue to work harder because the feeling is great.

With the pros, there are also cons. If you create a study group, and you socialize TOO MUCH, you will not get any work done. (This happens in the business world also.) Another con I've read about doesn't seem as likely, but it may effect those who rely too much on friends in the school or working world. If you rely on your friend and they drop out of school or even leave a job, your productivity may decrease as a result.

There was a story of a homeless man who once had a great job. His best friend was fired, and his productivity fell. He was fired,became an alcoholic and then became homeless.

Lesson of my blog? Friends are a great tool to have throughout life, but if you rely on them too much, you may become a victim if they move out of the picture.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Friends , or Co-workers?.