New week, new start

This past week has been somewhat of a blur to me. As finals come closer, stress levels rise, and time seems to go by quickly. I'd be the first to admit that I'm loaded with work, but nowhere as loaded as some people I know. As far as I know, I only have two actual finals next week. (Politics, and Psychology.) For my other classes, I have a few essays to write.

So I'm going to talk about some trouble I got into a month ago. I feel like you could all benefit from my mistake. A month ago, I had a few friends in my room and we were all hanging out. We were being really loud, and the R.A decided to knock on our door. We opened it, and the R.A spotted a full bottle of alcohol on my roommate's desk. Although no one was drinking, we were all written up, and had to meet with the R.D of the building.

A month later, I finally met with the R.D. We spoke of my situation , and I asked many questions. One of the questions I asked is something that you all should know. I asked "If i was in the room doing homework, or laying down watching t.v,and and R.A knocked on the door and found the alcohol, would I still get in trouble, even if i was completely innocent?" The answer is YES. As a student living on campus, it is your responsibility to tell your roommate to get rid of the alcohol. If he doesn't listen, it is your responsibility to tell an R.A.

Now, I do not completely agree with the rules. I would never tell on my roommate and get him in trouble. To be honest, I'd rather keep to my own business, and if i get caught, at least I'd feel like a good friend/roommate.

If you're a current student, or if you're coming to Umass next spring/fall, you will sign a paper saying that you understand and will follow all the rules. Please follow them, and do not risk getting into trouble.

In my case, I did not get suspended, because I proved that I was not under the influence, and that the bottle was not in my possession. Instead, I was charged for being in the presence of alcohol.

My punishment is that I need to pay a $25.00 fine,I need to take an online alcohol awareness course, and I'm on probation.

I was an innocent person, but Umass is very strict with the rules. Please be aware of your surroundings, and be responsible.

Good luck with finals everyone! I'll be writing again this week, because I'm an entry behind!

- Matt

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: New week, new start.