ORLANDO! ORLANDO! OR-LAN-DOOOO!

|

The International Plastics Showcase, the crème de la crème of the plastics industry, the big boy dance, NPE 2012. The Orange County Convention Center, located in Orlando Florida, creates an almost Taj Mahal-like feel. The building is of shear (stress/rate/strain?) monstrosity and has this mind boggling aura to it. You walk in through the doors of the west building and the feeling and site can only be compared to that of the children walking into Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory (with the Jurassic Park theme song playing in the background).

“Come with me and you’ll be in a world of pure imagination!”

Let’s just say if you’re in any way, shape or form part of the plastics industry and you are not at NPE…you’re wrong. There is a never ending abyss, I’m talking yards upon yards of companies presenting the latest and greatest the industry has to offer. What’s taught in the classroom barely scratches the surface that is Plastics Engineering. So here’s a nickel’s worth of free advice I don’t need back, Go to NPE!

“If you want to view paradise, simply look around and you will.

Anything you want to do it. Want to change the world? There’s nothing to it.”

Words will not do this trade show justice. The knowledge contained within the walls of that building was immeasurable. Plastics are Universal and the Identifying components of our world today. People out there actually think plastics have a negative impact on the world. A single ban on plastics would be a crime against humanity. Imagine even 1 single plastics component missing on the plane taking us to and from Orlando.

However, the most rewarding part of a truly memorable weekend, was the time spent with my classmates. Some of us have been in class together for almost 4 years now. Our hands are full 8 days a week, and sometimes things just slip through our fingers and shatter our well being. We spend immense amounts of time in Ball-Hall day-in and day-out is so we can (hopefully) see the benefits of all our hard work. We’ve learned to work with each other. We fall back on one another and trust they’ll catch us. We hope that they won’t let us fall behind, or leave us in a cloud of smoke, or even lying alone face first on the floor.  In the end, we are all in this together and the bettering of the world is our common bond. If we lose that, we might never make it.

Seeing my fellow students stand closely side-by-side-by-side-by-side to present their research made me proud. I know we can all "Do Some Good" (shameless plug) in this world.

It’s a shame we’ll have to wait 3 years for this monumental event to come around again, but I only have two words in regards to that.

VEGAS BABY!

This page contains a single entry by Peraner, Jared L published on April 8, 2012 10:59 PM.

Where Did You See Yourself In 5 Years? was the previous entry in this blog.

Do You Want It All? is the next entry in this blog.