Do You Want It All?

|

“Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer…I said dreamer, you’re nothing but a dreamer!”

Nobody wakes up in the morning, gets up on the wrong side of the bed and thinks “I want to be average today.” Nobody sits in class and daydreams about a mediocre life. And “In an Absolut World” you won’t find yourself in last place.

“If I could see something…If I could be someone...If I could do something… If I could do anything…”

From the get-go the people most important in my life told me I could be anything I wanted to be. That they would do everything and anything in their power to give me the same opportunities as everybody else. If I really, truly wanted to do something, I could try.

“Well can you do something out of this world?”

I can damn well give it a shot. It’s lame, it’s cliché, it’s over-done, it’s over-written, and it’s over-played. It’s called the American Dream. Freedom includes the opportunity for prosperity and success, and an upward social mobility through hard work. In James Truslow Adams' definition of the American Dream he states, “life should be richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement” regardless of social class or circumstances of birth. It’s written in the Declaration of independence, “All men (and women) are created equal!”

The word richer doesn’t need to be associated with $$$, being highly ranked or upper-class doesn’t mean you’ve achieved the American Dream. When you work hard and eventually find yourself exactly where you wanted to be, whether it’s the job you have, the goals you’ve accomplished, or the people you’re surrounded by, then you have achieved the American Dream.  LIFE is “richer and fuller,” not necessarily you’re wallet.

Elementary school, middle school and high school are the same for everyone. But colleges are that chance, that opportunity for each of us to part ways and walk our own line. Whether it’s UMass Lowell, or any other college or university, it provides us that chance to be the person we dream about. Engineers, nurses, doctors, lawyers, teachers, writers, editors,  we can all do something out of this world. I hope that all of you graduating with me this spring are one step closer to achieving your American Dream.

As for my American Dream, it’s simple. I want to be able to give the people most important to me the same opportunities that I had. Everyone deserves a chance to chase their dreams. I understand this is real life, and not everything works out according to plan, but you can’t be afraid to fail, you have to take a leap of faith, or find yourself filled with regret.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don’t be cynical. I hate cynicism — it’s my least favorite quality and it doesn’t lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you’re kind, amazing things will happen."- Conan O'Brien

This page contains a single entry by Peraner, Jared L published on April 24, 2012 10:59 PM.

ORLANDO! ORLANDO! OR-LAN-DOOOO! was the previous entry in this blog.

Last Chance To Be A Hero is the next entry in this blog.