Where Did You See Yourself In 5 Years?

|

An interview wouldn’t be an interview without being asked, “Where do you see yourself in five years?” I was asked this question in almost every one of my college interviews senior year of high school.

That was Fall of 2007, now it’s Spring 2012, almost five years later. So did I give the “right” answer?

Five years ago I answered that question saying that I plan to have graduated a major university with a mechanical engineering degree. I would keep the momentum and continue straight onto graduate school to complete my master’s degree. I felt that if I took a break to go work full time, I would never find or make the time to go back to school. If I were to find a job I would want it to be more hands-on. I always knew I didn’t want to be a business major. I didn't want to be someone who wears a shirt and tie to work. I didn't want to sit behind a desk, in front of a computer, everyday from 9 to 5. What I did know was that I wanted to travel.

This spring I will graduate from UMass Lowell with a Plastics Engineering Degree. I will most likely not be continuing directly onto graduate school because I will be working for Nypro, a company that plans to have me enter an eighteen month to two year management training program. This program will send me to the far ends of the world for extended periods of time mentoring various co-workers on various projects. Nypro is said to have two paths, one technical, and one business. While I’ll have a technical degree, I was hired by the Consumer and Electronics department for business (So yes, I sold out, 18 year old me would look upon 22 year old me with shame).

I dress business casual to work (nice pants, but no tie, so 18 year old me can breathe easy about that) I have my own office and I do have those days where I spend it behind a desk in front of a computer screen. I also have days where I’m hands-on, down on the floor working with heavy machinery. But, the best part is the travel, I’ve never left the country before, and over the next few years I will go months at a time without touching American soil. Don’t get me wrong, I love the US of A, but there’s a world out there just begging to be discovered by me.

So I guess I was both “right” and “wrong” about where I saw myself today. And you know what? I’m okay with it. I’m better than okay with it. Everything seems to be in its right place and if there isn’t anything broken, then there’s no need to fix it.

So I ask you this. Where did YOU see yourself today, five years ago? And an even better question. Where do you see yourself five years from today? (Don’t say doin your…)

“Make no mistake, moving is living.”

This page contains a single entry by Peraner, Jared L published on March 28, 2012 5:24 PM.

Do Some Good was the previous entry in this blog.

ORLANDO! ORLANDO! OR-LAN-DOOOO! is the next entry in this blog.