Lights. Camera. Action!

I feel as though we've gone astray from the focus of this blog, which is me. So today I’m going to redirect the blog and talk about one of my favorite pastimes, film.  The film industry plays such a major roll (get it like a roll of film!?) in our culture. I say film because we are talking about more than just movies, television is film as well.  Films are the subjects of conversation, methods of communication, and forms of inspiration. Characters we see on screen play a role and they then serve as role models for some of us. Some characters, the exact opposite. Film brings people together:

“Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

I’m sure all of you have a television show you watch with someone on a regular basis. And of course, the movie theater, it’s every couple’s go-to date when they can’t quite think of anything else to do.

I feel as though half the things I say are a result of something I’ve scene (again notice the play on words).

What’s a film though without a critic? There is a book titled “1001 movies to see before you die.” Now we don’t have time for that, but if I could narrow it down to 25 films you must see these would be them.

1. The Shawshank Redemption
  2. Casablanca
  3. Star Wars (You can’t marry a girl unless she likes Star Wars)
  4. Pulp Fiction
  5. Tombstone
  6. Forrest Gump
  7. Back to the Future
  8. Goodfellas
  9. Schindler’s List
  10. The Godfather
  11. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  12. One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest
  13. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  14. The Usual Suspects
  15. Raging Bull
  16. Jaws
  17. The Graduate (“Plastics!”)
  18. The Silence of the Lambs
  19. The Lord of the Rings
  20. To Kill a Mockingbird
  21. American History X
  22. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  23. Saving Private Ryan
  24. Rudy
  25. E.T. the Extra-terrestrial

I can feel all you young Ebert and Roeper’s judging me right now, but that’s how I see it through my lens. I can hear you now making changes to my top 25 list (Go ahead, the comments section is activated! "I dare you! I double dare you mother-"). I can hear my brother now, outraged by some of my choices and lack of others.

“Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.”

Controversy, another great result of the film industry, we could debate these top 25 movies till we’re blue in the face.  “Well, nobody’s perfect.”

“Hasta la vista, baby!”