Epi-blog

|

I pretty much decided when I was 14 years old I wanted to be an engineer, I liked building things and was constantly inquiring about how things worked. I had always been placed in higher level math classes through elementary school, but in 8th grade I met my match with Algebra, I struggled. My teacher informed my mother that I should probably not pursue a career in math or sciences. A little harsh for a 14 year old wouldn’t you agree?

Well I took her advice and didn’t pursue a career in math OR sciences. I pursued a career in math AND sciences.

Fast forward to today.

When the clock strikes 4:00PM on this Cinderella story I’ll have completed my first Co-Op, with a multi-million dollar organization to boot. Next week I’ll be entering my senior year of college and assuming I don’t hit any speed bumps, receive a Bachelors Degree in Plastics Engineering next spring. Last time I checked that involved a strong knowledge of math and sciences.

“Shout out to my haters, sorry that you couldn’t phase me.”

I guess that was all the motivation I needed. Some middle school algebra teacher telling me I couldn’t do it. Well I’m doing it, doing it well and doing it right now!

“Victory!”

Days like today are bittersweet. To think about all the hard work I’ve put in to reach what I believe is the pinnacle point thus far in my life. It’s also a little sad though; I’ve spent the past 3 months here and have become acclimated. I enjoy working at Teknor Apex. I enjoy my co-workers and of course, I enjoy that weekly paycheck.

I’ve learned more than just plastics. I’ve learned about the ideals of corporate culture, employee to employer relations, the need for continuous improvement, methods of problem solving and that time really is money.

But this blog is all for naught without you, the readers. Hopefully I’ve provided you with a unique perspective on this experience and of course a few laughs. So my many thanks to all of you!

And last but not least “clap for the heavy weight champ, ME!” This truly was an experience and even with all the heart ache last spring about whether or not I was going to even find a job, I could not be more pleased with how everything turned out.

The summer wouldn’t be complete though without one more Switchback paired perfectly with a sunset over Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Mountains.

Switchback_Sunset.jpg 

“So Long, I’m goin', goin' home…”

This page contains a single entry by Peraner, Jared L published on August 26, 2011 9:13 AM.

Episode VI: Return of the Student was the previous entry in this blog.

The Boys Are Back In Town is the next entry in this blog.