Page 1, Chapter 1, Verse 1: Making Moves

|

The magic number is 198. That’s the distance in miles (318 kilometers for all you engineers) from UML to my apartment in Burlington Vermont.

Now the majority of kids, when they move to college, have never lived away from home before. This newly discovered freedom can cause a student to behave many different ways, but there are two that are most apparent in my mind.

First scenario, the student becomes consumed by the party scene. They end up marching to the tune of Sean Kingston’s Sleep All Day (And Party All Night) and when the grades are released over winter break, they find themselves on academic probation. Potentially having this classic conversation…

Animal House 

Hopefully, this is enough for the student to get their act together, develop some decent study habits, and turn things around for the Spring semester (and the rest of college). OR they will SAY that they will do all of what I previously stated, but instead keep the “dream” alive. I think Animal House sums it up again pretty well... 

Toga! Toga! Toga! 

After one year of college they find themselves changing majors, taking summer courses, taking a year off or just calling it quits period.

Second scenario, the student understands their new found freedom, and becomes more self aware. College doesn’t wait for you, or put up with your excuses. The student understands they need to wake up go to class, pay attention, do their work, or suffer the consequences.

*Side note: This is what bothers me about the world today, people thinking they are entitled, that they don't need to suffer the consequences. When did the whole world become one big participation award, the whole every kid gets a trophy, 6th place ribbons, there is something for everyone, everyone is a winner, etc. NO! College isn’t like that. There are winners and losers. No one is going to hold little Johnny Jones or Susie Snowflakes hand all through college. If you fail, YOU FAIL, no second chances, no extra credit. Better luck next time! So that’s why I don’t feel bad for the kids who drank or slept their way out of the engineering program, and then are all upset saying something along the lines of, “This test/paper/professor is (insert profanity), I pay a lot of money to go to school here.” Maybe if you cared an inkling about your school work, and not about that extra hour of sleep, getting a few games of ruit in on Tuesday night, or 3 hours of Zombies/Team Death Match, you would have passed. Cause if I could quote a great man, myself, “There is nothing better than going out on the weekends and knowing you’re getting good grades.” Anyway…

The student finds a good balance between social life and academic life, making them both a better student, and a better person.

As for me, I have not lived at home for the past 13 summers, and since starting college, I live at home maybe 2 months of the year. So when I moved into UML freshman year, I knew the deal. I went to class, got my work done on time, studied for my exams and earned those top notch grades. And I still manage to go out with my friends over the weekends and have time for myself.

So now I’m in Burlington. I think living away from home so much already has made this transition easy. I have to get myself up in the morning and into work on time Monday-Friday, 8:00AM-4:00PM (Does anyone work 9-5 anymore?). I have to go food shopping for myself, cook for myself and pay my rent. Basically, I’m on my own.

Instead of my school work, I have actual work. When you are employed by a company, you are on their dollar, so “time is money.” Their money! So you can’t procrastinate and wait till the last minute, because at the end of the day, it’s a business, deadlines are real, extensions don’t exist, and expectations have to be met. Otherwise, it costs the company money, and in the business world, everyone is cheap.

My point is, moving away from home is a big deal, and you don’t really understand how big of a deal it is until you’ve left. Moving, away for a summer Co-Op isn’t all about the work experience either, there are a lot of fun things to do up here in Burlington, but we’ll save that for another time.

To be continued…

This page contains a single entry by Peraner, Jared L published on July 12, 2011 9:23 AM.

Prelude was the previous entry in this blog.

Chapter II: TA Marks the Spot is the next entry in this blog.