Vacation Update!

Itís pretty late right now, but this is really the only time that I can find to write a blog! Iím currently at the cape with my family staying at a resort that we go to for a week every summer.  With all the events you can do during vacation itís difficult to find a spare moment to actually just sit back and enjoy yourself. Luckily, I was able to find this time to look back and reflect.

Move in day is approaching, and kind of caught me by surprise! I wasnít quite sure how close it was until a friend of mine that attends Holy Cross said how overwhelmed she was with packing to go back. I soon realized that we move back in on the same day, and that was in less than 3 weeks! Iím not overwhelmed with packing or anything, I actually have yet to start, but it was definitely unexpected. One thing that Iíll keep in mind is to not over pack. That was the cause of most of my stress and clutter last year; bringing winter jackets during the fall that I didnít end up using along with many other unnecessary items.

My older sister, who will be a senior at Bates College this upcoming semester, doesnít come home very often because she usually lives in an apartment up in Maine. She does come home for the last month of summer to accompany the family on the annual Cape Cod vacation. In my eyes, she doesnít look any older or mature than Iíve remembered, but when I think of her entering her last year, she definitely does seem aged. Itís weird; sheís always been two years ahead of me, but the gap has never been that large to me until now. Realizing that she soon will probably get her adult life started, Iím only getting started with my training!

Weíll share college experiences with each other, and what Iíve noticed, even with many of my friends; most students love the college they go to. Many will have loved the college they go to even before attending, but others will go in hoping to transfer out to a more prestigious school. I came into the first year not knowing what to expect, but hoping to be able to like it enough to stay until graduation. I ended up loving my first year, and the feeling is mutual amongst most of my friends and their respective colleges. Even my friends that were planning on transferring decided not to and now plan on staying at their college. So if youíre nervous about your first year, so is everyone else in your class, but by the end, youíll most likely end up loving it.

A question I love asking some of my friends who will soon be entering their first year is, ďare you nervous about making new friends?Ē As you may have heard, college is where you can re-identify yourself. Make a whole new group of friends on a clean slate. I love asking the question because I always know that the answer is the same, of course theyíre nervous and worried about meeting new people and ďfitting inĒ. My best advice that I got and will give out is to leave your door open the first couple weeks of school. Go around and look for open doors, and introduce yourself. Itís the quickest and best way to make friends, and in no time, youíll have a huge group of friends!

Well itís getting late and I have to be well rested for all the activities planned for tomorrow! If anything exciting happens on this vacation Iíll post up an update soon!

-Hai

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Vacation Update!.