A Busy Summer

Hey guys, hope your summer has been going great so far! My summer, so far, has seemed pretty busy to me.

Back To The Old Job
August 3rd will mark my 2 year anniversary with Hollister! It's not the best or most exciting job in the world, but it does somewhat provide a sense of job security. Every time I come back for breaks, all I had to do was call up my manager and let them know I could work for X amount of time. No paperwork, no interview, I'm just put right back into the scheduling. It's very nice that they'll let me take a several month hiatus, and still keep me in their system as an employee.

New Job
I'm currently in the process of getting a job with Geek Squad at my local Best Buy. I was told all of the qualifications have been met and my previous technical experiences are a plus, but the General Manager was not very pleased at the fact that I would be leaving August 29th (when I move back to UML, the back-2-school season, which is a very busy season for Best Buy. I find it very difficult for students these days to find jobs, due to both the economy and having to leave to go to school. I can understand why though, managers find it a hassle having to train a new associate, only to have them leave a couple months later. Fortunately for me, I believe I got the job, but the manager is insisting that I transfer over to the Lowell Best Buy when I'm back at school, and can return when I'm on breaks. I don't really want to work at the Lowell store since I don't bring my car with me to school, so getting there would be quite troublesome. But for now, I think I'll take the job, and when the time comes, discuss transferring options.

Off To Mississippi
One of my biggest plans for the summer, is going to Gulfport, Mississippi. When I came home for the summer, I heard that 17 other students from my church were going to Mississippi in July to help build homes for those affected by Hurricane Katrina. I talked to the director of the trip, and fortunately, they were able to squeeze me in last minute. So July 12th-18th, I will be off in Mississippi! I think it's a great way to help those devastated by tragic losses, and hopefully I can do my part! This is the first time I've actually gone on a trip like this to help build homes, but my older sister has gone on several before. My weeks have been filled with numerous fundraising events such as car washes, dinners, bake sales, etc. to help raise money to lower trip costs.

Although its been a pretty busy summer with interviews, work, and fundraisers, I'm pretty excited for the Mississippi trip. Although it's not a vacation-esque trip, we'll be meeting up with 80 other students from other parishes, and I know it'll be a good time. That's all for now!
Thanks for reading,
-Hai

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: A Busy Summer.