Gotta Be Here!

I was surprised waking up Sunday morning to a rush of buses piling into East campus, unloading waves and waves of parents and students. A huge banner carrying the, ďGotta Be Here!Ē slogan was hung up across the Fox Tower, and it soon became clear that it was welcome day for the incoming students. Seniors from high schools came excited and parents came full of questions. I could see many of my fellow classmates rushing into the area where they served guests food, taking advantage of the free food and avoiding the obligation of swiping a meal plan. I was wearing a UMass Lowell sweatshirt, and had no intentions of being a tour guide, but I had families actually follow me up the Fox elevators and come visit my friendís room. I didnít mind it since it wasnít my room and thought it would be funny to embarrass my friend by unexpectedly show up at his door with random families looking to see how college students live their lives. Campus was pretty crazy until around 2, at which time I believe the tours and welcome day ended.

An upcoming event to note is the ďBeat the SystemĒ event that is going to be held tomorrow I believe.  This event is supposed to help students learn the doís and doníts of housing sign-ups, a process that has me confused. Iím not so much confused of what to do, but just unsure of what further steps I should take. As a freshman, Iíve filled out the application before, but Iíve made friends that I want to room with, and am unsure of how to request them. As told to me by the RAís, the event should have lots of entertainment and free giveaways, but the most important part of the event is the raffle. Reslife will be raffling off the first 10 spots in housing, meaning if you win one of the 10, you will be the first of 10 to choose where you live on campus. If I win the raffle, Iím aiming to secure a suite in Donahue, an upperclassman suite, and then attempt to ďpull-inĒ my friends.

Important dates to remember:
Housing Deposit due April 17th
Last day to withdraw from a class is April 13th

In a previous post I mentioned being able to upload videos that I took of the Hockey East Finals, but unfortunately, it seems that I left all my cables back at home and wonít be able to upload any of the videos.

Thatís it for now, till next time,
-Hai

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Gotta Be Here!.