Columbus Day Weekend

This past weekend, I went home for the weekend; the second time that I’ve been home since I got here.

I’ve heard that going home is exciting and all; nice home cooked meal and a place to do free laundry, but it wasn’t as great as I thought it was going to be. It was fun seeing my old friends again, since they were all home for Columbus Day weekend as well. I was able to work a lot on Saturday and Sunday at my old job, which was nice since I find myself scrapping at the bottom of the barrel for money. Seriously, college kids go through a lot of money. I was never homesick, and even now, I don’t really feel homesick at all, but seeing my old town and all the sights again did make me reminisce on past memories. When I wasn’t hanging out with my old friends or at work, I found myself sitting at home, bored. I left Saturday morning but ended up coming back to UML Sunday night because I just felt so much more comfortable here. After talking to my friends, I saw that they felt the same way. If you got bored at home, you really had nothing to do, but I always found myself with something to do here at UML.

As I was writing this, a couple of events occurred. Some people I know were caught with alcohol in their “dry” dorms a couple weeks ago, and I just got a phone call about their suspension. They were handed the “letter of death”, delivered by an RA. They got a three day housing suspension, meaning they can’t enter any of the dorms, and they really don’t know what they’re going to do about housing.  I feel bad, of course, but at the same time, they shouldn’t have had alcohol in the dry dorms.

As I was talking on the phone, I had to step out of my room because my roommates were playing video games, and when I looked out the window (my room is conveniently at the end of the hall by the window) I saw a crowd of people standing on the third floor of Leitch (the building right next to mine). I called up a friend of mine, who lived on the third floor, and he informed me that a fight was going on. I thought it was something serious, but it ended up that two kids were horsing around just wrestling.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Columbus Day Weekend.