First Week Done!

So the first week of college has just ended and everything has been crazy. I haven't posted up because I couldn't find time until now.

I moved in on Saturday and there was only freshman on campus until monday. There have been a lot of free activities, especially before the upper classman moved in, sponsored by a group named CAPA (i think lol). Free BBQ's, food, giveaways, and a lot of other stuff.

The main group of people that I hang out with now are the kids that I met at orientation. Orientation was a really good way to make new friends because the first day of move-in we all met up and have pretty much been hanging out with each other ever since.

My dorm is a quad and a lot bigger than my other friends' rooms. So far only two of my roommates have showed up so we still have one empty bed which does free up some space since were missing one roommate and all his stuff. Both of my roommates are pretty nice and I don't have any problems with them so far. My room came with 4 closets, 2 bunk beds (ive seen other quads unnbunk the beds, but we kept ours bunked to save space), 4 dressers, and 4 desks.

The worst thing about college so far is probably the heat. Air conditioners aren't allowed and aren't in any of my classes. The heat was almost unbearable and I found myself sweating 24/7. At night it's cool outside but for some reaon, the cold air refuses to enter my dorm. My mom stopped by the other day to drop off a couple more fans and some window fans and the room is a bit cooler now.

Books ARE EXPENSIVE. I was told to wait by almost everyone to see which boks I actually needed even though the campus bookstore website will list the books you need depending on the courses you take. But it's actually a better idea to buy them before move in day and have them delivered to your house. That way you can still return within 3 weeks if u don't use them and pay for them with your parent's money. I didn't buy them beforehand but, fortunately for me, my parents took the hour drive up to drop off some fans and buy me books.

I just put my first load of laundry into the machines today. You don't pay with quarters or anything, it's done with a laundry card that you can reload with money. It's 2 dollars per load of laundry, 1 dollar for the washer and one dollar for the dryer.

Classes have been ok. A lot better than high school since I don't have 5 classes a day, I usually only have around 2 and can still make it for lunch. None of my classes start before 1030 which I think is an awesome schedule. The only complaint I have is the heat, but that's beginning to get better. I'd say out of 5 courses, only 1 of them takes attendance, but it's stupid to not show up to class since college is so expensive.

The food here actually isn't that bad. In the mornings they have a lot of common breakfast options, even soemone who will make you sandwiches and omlets of your choosing. Lunch and dinner you also have set choices that they have everyday and 1 special meal that changes daily. I have 14 meals a week, which means I can come into the dining halls 14 times, and it's all you can eat.

I'll be sure to write more frequently once I'm a little more settled into college life!

Till then,

-Hai

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: First Week Done!.

Anonymous said:

I enjoyed reading through and i think this website has alot really usefull information on it!