Big job interview tomorrow…

After four years of hard work and determination, I finally get a chance to prove myself to a potential employer. This will be the moment I have been waiting for. That’s right; tomorrow I have an interview for a full time job. I will be interviewing at a medical devices company in Waltham, MA, for a position in research and development.

The fact that this is a local R&D position in medical devices makes this job a great fit for me. So I want to do my best at this interview. Here are a couple of tips for job interviewing:

Prepare: Researching the company is important. You want to know what you are getting yourself into. If they have given you a job description, make sure you take time to read it thoroughly. You may also want to watch interview videos online and do practice interviews. Anything you can do to make yourself more confident will definitely help.

Be presentable and be on time: Make sure you dress appropriately for the position you are applying for. I typically wear a suit, since I am applying for full time engineering positions. I believe it is better to over-dress than under-dress. Make sure you get directions and give yourself extra time. The last thing you want to do is arrive late or miss an interview.

Show your knowledge: Try to relate the employer’s questions to what the company is looking for. This is why it helps to know the job description; you can tie past experiences into the companies focus. Stay calm, try not to over answer questions, and make sure to make eye contact.

Follow up: Make sure to send a follow up email and reassure the employer you are still interested in the position.

I have some preparation to do since tomorrow is the big day. I will be sure to post the results as soon as I find out. Thanks for reading!

Elaine said:

Good luck, Guthrie!

This page contains a single entry by Gordon, Guthrie W published on November 3, 2009 7:31 AM.

Choosing your major/ switching majors… was the previous entry in this blog.

My plans for after graduation… is the next entry in this blog.