UML Career Fair/ MassPlastics Show…

|

I just got back from Pittsburg this weekend, I was there presenting a project that I have been working on for the past few months. It was a great experience to go to a trade show and present some of my research to some industry professionals. I had a good time in Pittsburg, even though it was cold and rainy.

Now that I am back, I found that I have much more free time. All of the hours I have put into my project every week are now open. This gives me the potential of focusing on my future.

As you may know, I am quickly approaching my graduation in December. As of now my plans for the future are unclear, but my aim is to either be working full time as an engineer in a field related to plastics, or to be studying full time for my master’s degree. I have been trying to work out teaching assistant and research assistant funding, which would waive my tuition and also give me a bi-weekly income that I could live off of. I have also been actively searching for jobs. Two big dates are coming up this week for my job searching: The UMass Lowell Career Fair on Wednesday, the 21st, and the 2009 MassPlastics show on Thursday, the 22nd.

The career fair looks a little bit more promising this semester as compared to last semester. There are about 6 companies looking for plastics engineers, of which 2 are actually hiring full time positions. The rest are either hiring interns or just accepting resumes. Since I am graduating in December, and positions will be opening in January, this gives me a good advantage over the students graduating in May 2010.

The MassPlastics show is a trade show similar to the ACS Rubber Expo that I attended last week in Pittsburg. However, I am not very familiar with rubber processing and technology, so the show in Pittsburg felt a bit foreign to me. On the other hand, I have been studying plastics processing and technology for the past 4 ˝ years, so this show should help me to see where the plastics industry stands today, and also give me a better idea of the local companies that I could send my resume to.

Hopefully with a little bit of luck, I will get some positive leads that will land me a few interviews in the next few weeks. Good luck with your job searching if you are attending the career fair this week. Thanks for reading.

This page contains a single entry by Gordon, Guthrie W published on October 20, 2009 7:50 AM.

Gearing up for Pittsburg… was the previous entry in this blog.

Choosing your major/ switching majors… is the next entry in this blog.