The Horror Story…

This summer I am taking a class called The Horror Story (42.217), which is taught by Dr. Todd Avery. The class is held from 7:00PM to 10:15PM twice a week for five weeks. The class also holds two Friday classes for a total of 12 classes. This class is an arts and humanities (AH) elective. To get a degree in engineering, you must take three AH electives and two social science (SS) electives. This is the first of my AH electives, and so far it is very interesting.

Dr. Avery is having us read four books over the summer, they are listed below:

·         “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley

·         “The Island of Dr. Moreau” by H.G. Wells

·         “The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” by Robert Louis Stevenson

·         “I Am Legend” by Richard Matheson

We spend the class talking about these books, reading short stories, and watching scary videos online. There are only two tests, which the questions are discussed in class. The best part is that we spend the two Friday classes watching movies. I am especially excited about the class because I have always had trouble reading books. We are just starting to read Frankenstein, and it hasn’t quite got me hooked yet, but I’ve heard it has that effect. I’ll keep you posted on how the class turns out.

Hey Guthrie,

I never took the "The Horror Story" class, but my friend did and he loved it! From what I heard Professor Avery is a great professor who's main focus is to make the class a fun learning experience. I wish I took it as one of my arts and humanities electives! Come on, who would say no to watching movies!

Have fun man,

Christian
blog.uml.edu/hawktalk/christian

This page contains a single entry by Gordon, Guthrie W published on June 1, 2009 9:55 PM.

My new job… was the previous entry in this blog.

My first day on the job… is the next entry in this blog.