A helpful tool when enrolling in electives…

I decided to take two electives this summer; I am finishing up with ‘The Horror Story,’ with Professor Avery, and I am trying to select an elective for the second summer session. Professor Avery is great and it has been a very enjoyable class. I got a 95 on the first exam, and hopefully will do as well or better on the next exam. If I can get A’s in both of my electives this summer it would definitely help raise my GPA. The greatest tool I have used to select classes has been RateMyProfessor.com.

I was planning on taking ‘Intro to Philosophy,’ with Michael Koran, but he did not get the best reviews on ratemyprofessor.com. For this reason I decided to look into other classes. What I am looking for is a class that is enjoyable and not too difficult, since I am trying to follow the path of least resistance in my final year of college. This led me to a choice between two classes, ‘Intro to Sociology’ with Prof. Levon Chorbajian or ‘Short Stories’ with Prof. Madeline Sherlock.

Both of these professors got good reviews, but I will probably end up selecting the ‘Short stories’ class, As it only meets 2-3 times a week, where ‘Intro to Sociology’ meets 4 times a week every week. Hopefully I will earn an A in both of my summer classes to boost my GPA. I am trying to get my cumulative GPA above a 3.0 by the time I graduate, a goal which has proven to be a tough challenge for me.

So when you are selecting classes, remember to check Ratemyprofessor.com, this may help you avoid classes and instructors that are needlessly difficult.

Christian T. said:

Oh the wonders of ratemyprofessor.com. It really is a great tool if you want to find a class that is considered "easy" and an automatic "A." But beware! I had a handful of "ratemyprofessor" classes that were supposed to be really easy, but ended up being on of the most difficult classes I have ever took. Just remember, an "easy" class for one person is not an "easy" class for another. Also I heard that some professors put their own reviews to make their classes look good... but that's just a crazy rumor.

Just the heads up.

- Christian

This page contains a single entry by Gordon, Guthrie W published on June 28, 2009 9:06 PM.

The uphill battle of keeping my car nice… was the previous entry in this blog.

Apartments, Summer Classes and Sunny days... is the next entry in this blog.