"Listen, You Have to Give up Texting for Lent"

|
Around lunch time, I was doing my regular news check on wbztv.com.  "This happened, that happened, oh another gas leak, cold weather, la la di do."  Then something caught my eye:  Catholics Urged To Give Up Texting For Lent.  At the same time, my cell phone went off saying I got a new text message from my buddy Meg.  Then two questions came up in my head: "Is this a sign?  Should I as a Catholic, give up texting for Lent?"

Absolutely not. 

So I guess the Vatican wants us to "give up" using high tech gadgets (such as an iPod, Blackberry, etc), and non-traditional forms of communication (such as texting or emailing) during Lent.  According to the article, these gadgets are drawing us away from "conrete [non-virtual] relationships."  In other words, the Vatican (or those in the Vatican who support this no-technology abstinence), wants us to take these technological distractions, throw them away for 40 days, and create or maintain healthy social "face-to-face" relationships. 

Okay, I think there's something hypocritical about this.  The Pope obviously praises facebook and myspace because they bring us together in a virtual-sense.  Funny enough, he also has his own YouTube Channel.  And now, bishops in the Vatican are saying we should give up this techno-junk for 40 days?

Listen, I understand the whole logical sense behind giving up this new technology.  We're getting way too distracted by our iPods, Game Boys, Wiis, laptops, Blackberries, and other stuff.  This distraction is pulling us away from important stuff like doing homework (and I confess that I'm doing my blog JUST to delay me from doing homework).  But come on, you can't urge us to stop texting.  Many people use texting as another form of communication that is less distracting and time-consuming like a phone call.  Let's just use me for an example.  My semester is very busy from classes, work, and clinicals.  I really don't have enough time to make a phone call to someone and talk to them.  Heck, sometimes I can't even hold a whole conversation without an awkward "so-anyways" pause.  That is why I use texting.  I can communicate with my buddies who I normally don't see every week thanks to my busy schedule.  What's even better is the whole fact that I can communicate with multiple friends at once through texting.  So there is no way I can give up texting for Lent.  If I gave up texting, then my connections with friends will die (for 40 days).  My social life is doomed (sadly enough).

So there has to be another thing I should give up.

Here's a list of things that has been lurking in my mind:
Driving to Lowell
Taking a Shower
Breakfast
Sleep
Exercise
Taking exams
Writing Essays
Going to classes
Blogging for UML

... okay Elaine.  I was just kidding about the last one (ha ha ha).

- Christian

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on March 4, 2009 7:08 PM.

"Buddy, I Think We're Screwed After Graduation..." was the previous entry in this blog.

My Final "HURRAH" at UMass-Lowell Has To Wait... Sweet! is the next entry in this blog.