Senioritis Kills Seniors (And a Random Tangent)

It's officially a diagnosed disease for seniors.

Senioritis.

What is the definition of that word?

According to urbandictionary.com, senioritis (n.) is (comically) a "virus which seems to affect mainly second semester seniors... This virus can be deadly to one's grades, as the carrier becomes totally apathetic about their grades, classes, homework etc. This results in many 'Zeros ( 0 )' or failing grades - ultimately leading to the drastic lowering of the grade in the carrier's classes. Side effects include: Failure to give a (crap), complete and utter apathy, and not graduating with the carrier's class." 

Rough stuff, huh?

Unfortunately, my diagnosed senioritis is not that serious or grade-threatening (so far).  I really don't know why I'm slacking off so much.  Is it because this is my last semester and graduating is very possible?  Is it because I'm mentally tired from 4 years of academic hardship, lack of sleep, and hours and hours of work?  Or is it seriously the fact that I don't really care anymore?  Maybe its a mixture of it all.  Truthfully, I'm just physically, mentally, and emotionally tired.  I haven't had a good 8-10 hours of sleep in months and my free time to do homework is dwindling thanks to my senior practicum and my three paying jobs that I work (even if I work one day per job per week).  Many of you have heard me recite what I want to do in the future:  work at a cardiopulmonary rehab or personal train, get my CSCS (Certified Strength and Conditioning) certification, then apply to PT school after.  Honestly, I don't know how well my plans will work out.  For the past few months, my self-confidence has been in an all time low, and I really don't know why.  I just feel down all the time, and it's affecting my work, which actually might have caused my overall senioritis.  I just still haven't really recovered from a few incidents... that's all.  And I guess those events have caused me to think less of myself, which made me slack off even more.  Sure, my best friend told me to knock it off because I'm doing so well, but when will I ever listen to what they say and get out of this hole?  Deep (deep deep) down I just don't feel happy.  Surprising huh?  Most of my friends and people I know would see me as the happy kid, who drops a few jokes here and there.  But I don't know.  Maybe I just need a distraction, a new scenery, or even a vacation.

Wow, some tangent, huh?

I would like to hear what you think.  Leave a comment and I'll answer back through a comment.

- Christian

LEONIDUS said:

Senioritis is great.. it lets me not give a ____.

Giacomo said:

This was highly informative :) Many thanks to the poster.

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on February 21, 2009 10:54 PM.

"So, Today is the Only Day I Can Say 'I Love You' to You?" was the previous entry in this blog.

"Buddy, I Think We're Screwed After Graduation..." is the next entry in this blog.