February 4, 2008: Commuter's Day of Infamy

whatswrongwthis.jpg

What is wrong with this picture?  Why is the side of the parking aisle empty... and why is everyone parking right in the middle of the road????

Ladies and Gentlemen, today, February 4, 2008 - a date which will live in infamy - the Riverview Lot was attacked by a small snow storm the night before, which ultimately caused a massive amount of confusion to the commuter and residential community of the University of Massachusetts-Lowell.  This morning, the parking lot was dusted with a half-inch of snow, which covered the yellow parking lines (and possibly glared common sense to some drivers).  With the snow on the ground, students began to make their own parking spaces in a disorganized and broken-jigsaw-like fashion.  A simple idea of creating your own parking row soon became a chaotic, yet comical nuisance to all mid-day commuters.  As soon as the sun came up and the temperatures rose, the snow melted.  There was a surprise waiting for the UMass-Lowell community especially for the UML Police and commuters - NO ONE WAS PARKING ON A LEGAL SPACE (and another picture below).

midcar.jpg
[Caption:  A driver makes her/his own parking space... wait everyone did]

I honestly started to laugh when I saw the mess we all made (yes, that includes me - a picture of my car "out of line" below).  I have never seen such a thing in my whole life.  It was such a simple (and right) thing to create your own parking row, which allows enough room to drive around the lot, yet we all messed up and underestimated the line placement. 

oops.jpg

Yep, okay, we messed up, but I think some people are COMPLETE IDIOTS.  Why would you park your car three rows deep, instead of making a new aisle for parking?   When I say three rows deep, I meant that there are three consecutive rows of cars next to each other.  So basically the middle row is completely trapped in the middle.  Yes.  You heard me.  Three rows deep.  Don't believe me?  I have a (poor) picture to prove it, with labels and a small overhead view of the parking situation (below).  ... What happened to common sense today?  Did we forget that a full section means... well... it's full?  It's like trying to add an extra 6 eggs in a carton dozen of eggs.  Come on, wake up!

3deep.jpg
[Caption:  A detailed picture of the 3-deep parking mess.  I also made a diagram of the situation if you don't know what I'm talking about.  The numbers indicate the row]

Overall, I think this should be a wake-up call to the UML administration.  When it snows, it snows.  Plow it or melt it, even if its just a coating.  It would reduce any type of craziness that happens in the South Campus Riverview Parking Lot.  Maybe those snow banks at the back should go?  If they are removed, students would be able to park in actual parking spaces than making their own parking space.  Did you see what happened when students made their own parking spaces?  Wow.  That's all I can say.  Absolute Wow.  Thank God the UML Police didn't ticket people at all, because they would have a field day ticketing every single car in the back side of the lot. 

I wonder what tomorrow bring for UML parking?

Maybe another adventure to blog about?  Absolutely. 

- Christian

Deirdra Murphy said:

Nice pics on your blog! It is a crazy situation.
So, when you reflect on this situation what have learned that you can grow from?
Just had to see the blog! :)
Dr. Murphy

Chris said:

lol that's hilarious. But it's definitely something that happens all the time when it snows. In Canada there is snow on the ground 6 months of the year. No one can even see the lines on the pavement. One person parks out of place and everyone else follows. lol

Yup, its pretty funny how a little snow can hide the lines and the next thing you know the whole world falls apart.

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on February 4, 2009 7:54 PM.

Adios and the Heartbreak Blues (Oh Baby, the Blues) was the previous entry in this blog.

"So, Today is the Only Day I Can Say 'I Love You' to You?" is the next entry in this blog.