Recycle at UML... or not.

I remember a few weeks ago, I walked into my "hide-out" also known as the "commuter room."  It was around midday and I just got out of class.  I was looking for a place to sit down, talk to friends, and listen to my iPod.  But my "calm vibes" was thrown off with the large amounts of trash in the room.  That is right.  Trash.  It contained items like used plastic cups from the water jug, old clear plastic containers from the "cafe" downstairs, old napkins, and other gross stuff.  So this is what happens when UML gets rid of our trash bins?  I don't blame students for this change at all.  Sometimes it is very hard to find those huge recycle bin around campus, especially in halls.  A few days ago I wanted to throw away something that was leaking (I think it was a bottle of apple juice) and I had to run around the world to find a recycling bin.  The bottle was already empty before I got to a bathroom to spill the rest of it and throw it away. 

So what's the deal?  Why do we have to have "major points of recycling" that are very scarce.  Seriously I think Weed Hall has 2 or 3 of these points (as far as I know).  It's not very convenient to students, faculty, and staff.  Instead of having these a few major bins with signs at various locations, why can't they have those major points, and have two bins in classrooms?  I think the recycling program would have a higher success rate than what it is now.  The current plan has reached a point where students don't give a crap about recycling.  Sure, people do throw the right piece of trash in the correct bin, but those who want a quick toss and a shorter walk would just leave their trash behind or just blindly throw the wrong item in the wrong bin.  There also has been talk that students would rather make a big pile in the corner of a lecture hall than recycle (AND PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!!!!)

So my point is that we're getting a bit fed up with removing trash from lecture halls, offices, rooms, etc.  I know recycling is a great way to save the environment and I am a strong supporter in reusing abandoned and unused materials for newer items.  Unfortunately the plan right now is not working as I thought.  Putting more recycling points, add two bins in every room and office, and like always, promote and educate people about recycling through advertisements would make this now somewhat-trash-ridden university go back to its clean self.  Making that adjustment would make the difference.

- Christian 

Hey Christian. I don't know why there hasn't been more clamour about this topic! It's good to read your observations about the trash-that-should-be-recycled. The half-hearted effort on the part of the school to become more "green" makes me think that Meehan is just as he appears in his posters around campus: full of hot air!

Students like you might consider taking more of a direct interest and push the administration to REALLY make a difference -yesterday already!

Would you like to write for thelongview.org regarding recycling? That would be awesome!

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on October 28, 2008 11:07 AM.

Don't Put Your Head Down, Red Sox Nation was the previous entry in this blog.

Trick or Treat for the Troops is the next entry in this blog.