September 11, 2008.

Seven years ago, I was in Malden Catholic High School.  I was just a freshman who started the first few days of my high school career.  I was young, naive, and unaware about everything around me... until the attacks happened.  Throughout the early morning, there have been rumors going around the school that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center.  At first I didn't believe it, since seniors can make up crap about anything and make freshmen feel uncomfortable.  But then the rumors kept on going.  The whole school was talking about it.  There were students with blank faces on them, some with tears streaming from their eyes of fear.  I knew there was something wrong.  

During homeroom time, which was after my first few classes, the headmaster came on the intercom and made the painful announcement:  "America was attacked.  Two planes hit the World Trade Center and another hit the Pentagon.  There are rumors that the Chicago Sears Tower was struck..."  My heart sank to the ground.  How could this happen?  Why did this happen?  The United States of America?  We got attacked?  I thought we were impenetrable from attacks.  That whole day was torture for me... I did not know what to do... what to say... I basically just sat there and stared at the television and watched the replays of the planes hitting those two towers.  Then something hit me even harder.  One of my teacher's brothers was in the plane that flew into the towers.  It was hard to sink in... Was this the end of the world?

Going home from school was just as numbing for me.  Instead of the buzzing and loud environment of students on their way out of school, there was this eerie silence... just complete silence.  My dad looked very worried when he picked me up.  It looks like he haven't slept in days.  On the way home, we were listening to the radio for updates from the attack sites.  It was already 3pm and the towers were already long gone... collapsed.  When we got home, I went to the backyard and just stared at the sky.  I knew that one of those planes went over my house, since I live under an air route from Logan Airport in Boston.  But at that moment, the sky was silent.  No clouds, no planes, no birds, just plain blue.  There was just a deep pit in my stomach when I saw fighter jets scrambling the skies around Boston.  They were ready for any other attacks.  They were ready to protect us again.

As years passed, the pain is still felt from that horrible day... "a day which will live in infamy."  Everything around us changed.  Our lives changed.  The way life was viewed changed drastically.  As I sit here typing out this blog for all of you, I still have that awful feeling in my stomach.  I still can't believe that happened. 

Please don't forget about that day.  Remember those who lost their lives, and those who fought hard to keep us free.  Pray that something like that will never happen again...

I'll leave you one thought before I sign-off from my blog:

Where were you on that day?

God Bless America,
Christian 

Dan said:

How bad is commuter parking? What time do you have to get there to get a spot? Thanks

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on September 11, 2008 11:04 AM.

Parking and Traffic is Just Plain Horrible Here was the previous entry in this blog.

How Selfish of Me! Let Me Re-introduce Myself! is the next entry in this blog.