New Hampshire Tornado

|
Imagine yourself sitting in your screened porch reading your favorite summer book.  In the distance you can see clouds building up.  The first thought is that it might be a passing shower, since its hot and humid outside.  Your parent comes into the porch and says there's a thunderstorm warning and tells you to get inside.  Lazily, you sluggishly hop off your chair saying, "Not another thunderstorm again."  The wind picks up, the cloud gets closer and closer. You start hearing raindrops pounding your window.  The frequency of the raindrops increases, and next thing you know you hear a noisy sound of a downpour.  The winds start picking up even more, and from your T.V, a red banner runs on the bottom of your screen, repeatedly saying "TORNADO WARNING - FIND A SHELTER NOW!"   Next thing you know, you see branches flying everywhere and the sky getting darker and darker.  You finally say to yourself, "I don't think this is no regular thunderstorm..."

When I was younger, tornadoes (mostly weather in general) fascinated me.  When I was around 7 years old, I understood what a F5 tornado meant, and what channel I should click on to check if there was any type of weather warning if the sky turned "black"  in a hot, humid day.  Still to this day, I get excited when the sky turns gray, rain falls hard, and lightning races the sky.  I guess I had the weather-man instinct in me, I don't know. 

Most of you probably know what happened in southeastern New Hampshire a few days ago.  A tornado, most possibly a EF1 or EF2 (which generally means that its a weak tornado, but can produce damage like downed power lines, trees, and damage to houses - the "E" on the code is part of the new tornado scale).  Like what I said above, I was fascinated with the weather, so I basically stuck my eye on the T.V. to find out what happened.  After reading a few articles in the Internet and keeping my eye on the T.V., the tornado was a big surprise for the citizens of New Hampshire.  As far as I know, I never heard of a tornado that created this much chaos in New England in my life.  Usually, I would hear about a tornado touchdown in the south or around "Tornado Alley," which is the area of the U.S. where many tornadoes have been recorded.  I've looked through the pictures and maps of the damage from wbztv.com, and overall I was shocked about the damage.  Probably the worse thing I got from all of this is that 1 person died trying to save her grandson. 

Tornadoes are generally rare in the New England area especially near Boston.  But imagine if something like that happened around here?  Do you think we're prepared for such a disaster?  Ironically we almost had that tornado funnel touchdown near the UMass-Lowell area.  I saw how the storm moved; it was heading straight up north, with probably a little northeast movement.  I think that even its such a rarity to have a disastrous phenomenon hit us, I think we're due for one - we have to know what to do when something like that happens.  Not even a tornado, but a hurricane, an earthquake, a major major blizzard, or anything that is listed with that group.  I feel that MA is not prepared for any summer storms at all. 

Wow... ironically the sky is dark right now and there's a few loud rumbles of thunder... time to watch the sky.  (Sorry I'm a nerd!   Hahaha.)

- Christian

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on July 27, 2008 4:40 PM.

... And You Think Gas Prices Stink Here was the previous entry in this blog.

Manuel Aristides Ramirez (AKA Manny Rameriz) is the next entry in this blog.