Gone Just Like That

|
Have you ever had the feeling... the feeling that you can reach the ultimate goal but fall back to step 1?  I had this feeling when my baseball team lost in the semi-final single-game elimination playoff game.  It wasn't a pretty win at all either.  We only had one hit going into the last inning.  I just wish I can go out on the field myself and make the plays, but only my players can change the way of the game.  All I can do is make the changes in the lineup, positions, and give them encouragement.  When the last out was recorded, my heart just sank not just because of the playoff lost and the elimination, but watching my team together as one for the very last time.  The majority of my team are veterans and future graduates of the league, so they won't be coming back next year.  These are my "15s."  They have been with the team for 3 years.  They all experienced the high points (the league championship when they were 13 years old) and the low points (our 2-13 season last year).  They made my coaching experience worthwhile because I saw each player positively develop as a baseball player and as a person.  I'm proud of their dedication and love for baseball. 

Now, for my 13s and 14s, most of them will be gone also.  I can definitely tell you that I have very talented rookies.  They are so talented that they are most likely (or maybe 100%) going to the Division I league next year.  So if you think about it, I only have 2 returning players out of 13, which will stink for another playoff potential season.  Who knows?  Maybe we'll get a bunch of talented rookies who can bring us to the "motherland" again.  All I can say is that I'm looking forward to next year's season of challenges. 

As I sit here pondering of what should and shouldn't have happened, I look back at the season and think, "wow, this has been one helluva ride."

It's time to hang up the cleats, put all the equipment away, and look at the rest of my summer... I could smell college around the corner.

- Coach Christian

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on July 17, 2008 3:06 PM.

I Can Feel It, But It's Too Far To Reach was the previous entry in this blog.

... And You Think Gas Prices Stink Here is the next entry in this blog.