Down to the Wire

|
"Okay, here's the situation boys and girls...  As you can see, we worked pretty hard this season, and I, and the coaching staff, could not ask for more.  We played a lot of great teams with tons of talented players, but through the thick and thin we definitely showed that we are the better team.  Our record is 7 - 5 and we are currently tied in second place with the 2007 City Series winners.  We have two more games left in the season, and those two teams are fighting for our spot in the playoffs.  There has been a lot of criticism this season from parents and coaches about our shot to reach the championship.  They would look at us say we don't have potential.  But you know what?  I don't listen to anything negative about us.  I always think positive, and you all should too.  I can tell you for a fact that our next two games will be challenging, but we have to stick together and keep our heads in there.  We have to band as a team, because like what everyone says, "There is no I in team."  Do not, I repeat, do not, look into your opponents eyes from the bottom up... look at them at the same level or even greater.  We are not the underdogs.  I do not believe in "underdogs."  The Boston Red Sox were underdogs, the Boston Celtics were named underdogs against the experienced Lakers, and the Patriots were looked down upon during their first Super Bowl this decade.  Do not give up hope.  Stay strong.  I know we are tied in second, and the 3rd, 4th, and 5th place team are tied in 3rd.  But we can overcome this.  Standings is just all math.  But the will to fight to the end doesn't involve numbers.  You all have what it takes to win the City Series.  Let's go out there and show them, who is ONE."

This is what I want to tell my baseball team before they head into a crucial baseball game tomorrow.  If we win, we have a bigger chance to keep our second seed spot for the playoffs.  If we lose, we will end up in 5th place.  Second to fifth is a big jump.  I don't want to see my kids fall that hard.  I can tell they are nervous.  Heck, I was nervous when I faced a tight race for a playoff spot when I played baseball.  I just have to hype up the kids and tell them there is nothing to be afraid of.  If we lose, we lose.  Everyone falls once in awhile, but no one falls to the abyss.  You can fall, pick yourself up, and bring yourself to the next level. 

That is why I love coaching.  Telling these kids that there is a lesson greater than the game itself about life. 

- Coach Christian (1 championship in 2 years)

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on July 1, 2008 1:22 PM.

Response to Jimmy Martin's UML Blog - "Relationship, Job Hunt, Soccer, Oh My!" was the previous entry in this blog.

July 4th Weekend is the next entry in this blog.