You're doing the Wingate Test... By the way, Happy April Fool's Day! ...No, really you are.

Ouch. 

That's all I can say.  Today my exercise physiology II lab was about anaerobic power that is generated by our legs.  We conducted two tests:  The Vertical Jump Test and the (Never doing that again) Wingate Test.  The Vertical Jump Test involves the subject jumping as high as he or she can, and determining the amount of power of each jump.  Easy enough.  The Wingate Test involved a subject "going all out" on a stationary bike while trying to overcome a heavy resistance.  It may sound easy, but doing it was pure h-e-c-k.  At the first few seconds of the test I felt that I was doing okay physically, but as I was told to push harder I felt my stomach turn inside out.  Of course with all the motivation, trying to look strong and buff, and trying to get "good" lab results, I had to go all out without any hesitation.  Obviously, fatigue hit me and I slowed down right away.  I felt all right after the test, but after 20-30 minutes I started to feel some nausea, dizziness, and overall fatigue.  I spent 45 minutes to a full hour trying to let my body buffer out the lactic acid (and that was h-e-c-k also).  I barely remember what my friend said to me:  "Christian, I think that this test literally killed you... We're going to exempt you from any future tests." I can tell you this, I'm never doing that again...

For all of you future brillant EPs, don't be scared!  Going through these types of exercise tests make you appreciate the research that was done to develop them.  Without these types of tests, no one will know how will a person does physiologically, physically, etc.  Plus, I don't think you want to see a professional hockey player with a very low anaerobic threshold on the ice, or a football player "die" from running.  Honestly, doing most of these types of tests from the Forestry Step Test to Body Composition Girth Measurements combines your learning from lectures with practical hands-on applications.  Plus, it is nice to know these examinations for a future job in the field.  :-)

Well time to let my body rest, replenish my ATP, creatine phosphate, and glycogen stores (and whatever I lost during the test).

Exhausted,
Christian

Jump Higher said:

I know I'm a little late, but you make a good point. Exercise studies, albeit physically and mentally exhausting, are vital for scientific advancements.

Speaking of exercise studies, a recent study concluded that the vertical jump is the single greatest assessment of a human's physical performance. Eppley indicated that vertical jump had the highest correlation with athletic performance.

Richard W. White of the Health and Exercise Science Department at the Gustavus Adolphus College concluded in a study of the relationship of relative vertical jump power with athletic performance that a higher vertical jump predicted better performance in athletic contests.

ep 234 said:

The most recent research shows that there is no such thing as lactic acid. Lactate production is good and absorbs H+. It is the body's inefficiency to produce enough lactate to absorb them that causes acidosis.

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on April 1, 2008 6:18 PM.

What is my drive like to UML? was the previous entry in this blog.

Engineering Semi-Formal is the next entry in this blog.