Friendly Notice About A Recent Email Fraud

|

Hello everyone,

Just stopping by to say hi... and giving you a heads up about emails that were probably sent from a hacker/phisher/loser/more bad words for cheaters!  Today around 6:43am I have received an email that was supposedly sent from Washington Savings Bank of Lowell, MA saying that "my" bank account was suspended unless I clicked to link and fill in information about myself.  First of all, I told myself, "What did I ever have a Washington Savings Bank bank account?"  Second, I knew it was a phishing scam, because a company, bank, or any organization/person should not ask for your information through email or ask you to click a link to fill in information.  As a cautious person and experienced in handling such types of emails, I hovered over the link to find out that the link did not directly send you to the banks site, but another person's site.  So I was right... it was an email fraud.

So what should you do if you get anything unsuspected? 

- First of all, research the company. For example, for this situation, I looked up Washington Savings Bank and I found out in minutes that the bank came from Lowell, MA.  To match the email to the company, try to look for similiar trends in both the email and the site.  Most likely, the hacker will try to fabricate an email that may look official.  For example in both the email and the site, it said "Washington Savings Bank, Member DIF, Member FDIC, Equal Housing Lender" in gray letters. 

- Second, if you find the correct site (and official) site of that company, contact them immediately about the email.  I called them up within minutes and I found out from their representative that a person has stolen their graphics and send emails to tons of random people (and I being one of them).  According to her, it was another set of fraud email sent from that hacker.  The first email involved opening an account and receiving $90 from them (fake). 

- Third, report it to the Information Technology (IT) department.  It would be nice to let them know what is going on, because you might not be the only one getting it.  There is a possibility that IT will send a mass email to the whole university in regards to the email. 

- Fourth (maybe it's the very 1st step you take) - Delete the email.  

There are definitely many ways to protect yourself from it.  Please be very careful when you receive emails that you don't quite know about.  Communication is the key to decreasing the threat.  If you let the "big people" (like the bank, IT, etc) know about this, they will take actions to stop this threat, and probably save people from being scammed.  

Yeah, a depressing and tense blog, I bet I feel that I should post it to save people from being victims!!!!!

Christian  

This page contains a single entry by Tiongson, Christian J published on April 29, 2008 9:13 AM.

Late April Fatigue Disorder was the previous entry in this blog.

Being "Down" about Exams... and Some Awesome Photos is the next entry in this blog.