Create Your Own Experience

Summer time usually means a lot of time to yourself. The more time you have alone, the more you think to yourself about random things. One thought leads to another, and the next thing you know you are having a serious thought about your future and career. That's what happened to me one night in this really hot summer. Facing graduation, I really haven't thought much about my career. I looked forward to the concept of graduating and getting out of school permanently so much that I did not deeply think about what I can achieve with my concentration in marketing/international business. Everyone wants to make a difference in the world and I'm no exception.

As I had these thoughts, the only thing that kept popping back into my mind was how I always wanted to work for the Boston Bruins. My passion for hockey was always there as some of you might already know, but working for a world class organization and showing them what I have to offer was an amazing thought as well.

Being the curious cat I am, I started to dig out some information about the marketing department of the Boston Bruins. I literally looked into everything, from internships to LinkedIn profiles. That's when I found the Boston Bruins director of marketing, as he was on LinkedIn. His list of experiences and accomplishments really was inspiring and I was hoping someone like him could give me a few words of advice to a confused soon-to-be senior in college.

As his LinkedIn account was protected from messages, I searched for his name to find any possible more information for contact, and I luckily found his Twitter account. To my big surprise, he actually tweeted me back. We exchanged a few tweets, and I eventually received an email address where I could express my thoughts more clearly and more than 140 characters at a time.

After a few emails, I was invited to the TD Garden Executive Offices to have a 1-on-1 chat as he told me that it would be more beneficial to have a face to face talk. I was delighted and humbled to have been offered such an opportunity. Needless to say, I accepted and I was on my way to Boston.

Chris, the director of marketing for the Boston Bruins, showed me around the TD Garden when I got there. He showed me around places I have never seen before, including the locker rooms, suites, and the Garden floor (a picture below). It was an amazing tour and experience.

We sat down in a suite when the tour was done and I asked him some of the questions that were lingering inside my head. He was so great with answering all the questions with honesty and passion. It really seemed like he enjoyed having me there. I was humbled by his experiences and hard work. I realized I was still have a lot of work to do in order to be a successful and hard-working employee for a world class organization.

He gave me a lot of good advice and I remember walking out of the Garden with a big smile on my face. This wasn't about getting a job, nor anything with employment. It was just a college student looking for a professional for some guidance. The professional was nice enough to give his time for me and I won't forget that for the rest of my life.

My point is, for a kid like me, who works and don't have the luxury to find an internship to suit my life, it was an amazing experience. I strongly believe that internships are important and I need to get to it at some point before the school year is over, but I know where my limits are. By even doing something like this, I have still gained a bit of knowledge and dug into the head of a professional for guidance.

The most important thing to remember though, is that you have the power and ability to create an experience like this yourself. I did get a little bit lucky in my experience, but that shouldn't stop anyone from pursuing their own experience. If there is something out there and you are curious about it, don't be afraid to shoot an email or two.

You just never know what might happen. 

177414_3483903216596_1069591746_o.jpg