Self Confidence: Do you lack it?

Hey guys, long time no blog. I have been extremely busy this month and I finally have time to post a blog! Can't be happier. I should tell you all, that I am actually part of a Research Co-Op program and I am in preparation to write a big research paper on the topic of social media. I'm not confident about it, and it really leads me into the blog topic, which is self confidence.

When I was presented with the fact that I had to write this research paper, I was not exactly thrilled. I am always worried about everything and I knew this is going to be a huge burden, on top of one of the hardest semesters I've had here at UML. I didn't know how to take it. I even thought about resigning because I thought it'd destroy me.

As my professor and I started working together, I felt like I had more of a grasp on what was going to be written. I slowly built up confidence and I am still researching the topic profusely, as the paper is due on the first of January. Might seem like a long time to you, but not to me! (haha)

The hope is that I'd be able to get it done without problems and will go on with my life. If and when I complete this paper, I will be the happiest man in the world. My professor's work in this topic is fantastic, and I'd be lucky if she would be even satisfied with anything I am going to write.

Now does all that sound depressing to you? Because when I read it over, it sounds really depressing to me. I have lost all confidence in myself for something that hasn't even touched me yet. I think part of it is my drive to do well in everything. People might think that's a good thing, but half the time, it's not. I need to learn how to take it easy and take things in stride. Still having a tough time setting a realistic standard for myself.

I have seen some fantastic students here at UMass Lowell. Some are very hard workers and they are much more intelligent than I am. Some are lazy and don't do any work. Even still, we live in a world where we tend to compare ourselves to others, and unfortunately, I happen to compare myself to the highest standards of them all. This is definitely not a good thing.

In the end, I know I am going to complete this paper, I just don't know what quality. My professor has reassured me that everything will be fine and I trust her 100%. The most important thing in the back of my mind is not disappointing her in any way.

Finally, I wrote this blog this way because I didn't want to give you advice like I'd normally do. Quite frankly, I don't have any advice for you because I am having a hard time dealing it with it myself. But if you are going through the same thing I am (the stress of school work and life), I want you to know two things. First is that there are students like you around the campus and the world. We are all trying to solve and deal with it. It's what makes life...life. The second thing is to tell yourself that you CAN do it. I may worry about a lot of things, but telling myself that I CAN do it seems to have put some positive thinking inside my head. You can't go wrong with that.

In fact, you should start with that.

Til next time,

Andy