College Life As a Commuter

Hey guys. Hope you all have been well. The unexpected snow really hit everyone hard. I hope everyone was okay through it. Anyhow, right now, I am in the process of studying for more exams in my classes. In all honesty, this has been the toughest semester of my life. I can't find a balance in my time management and it's getting hard to manage everything, you know, keep it in control.

The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to write about my life right now as a commuter. This blog really provides a way for me to describe what I am experiencing as a commuter. I am grateful for it.

There are many positives on commuting. I get to come home everyday, and there really is nothing better than that in the end. I remember in high school, I wanted to get out of the house, but as I grow older, I am realizing the importance of family. Coming home also makes me really comfortable and more often than not, I can be in my zone. I mean, honestly, I can't describe the best part of commuting into many words. It's just coming home and all the aspects that come along with it.

The negative sides really affect me mentally. The 30-60 minute drive to Lowell from here is never fun, especially during the morning. Then comes my loaded classes on two days, which is pretty much my fault, but gas isn't cheap nowadays. I couldn't afford to drive 4 days a week. After classes, I feel really sluggish, as I do not have time to eat lunch at any time of the day. Usually I'll be munching on snacks between classes, and if I can squeeze in lunch time, I have to finish it in 15 minutes. It may sound like a bunch of complaints, but it's taking a toll.

So my friends ask me why I decide to commute. I don't really have a choice. In this economy, we have to face the music if we are going to save money. I don't have the luxury of some other students, but I try to make the best of it. I'd like to think that it's helping me become a more durable person and I hope so.

My advice to commuting students that may be feeling the same is to be more active than me. Get involved with everything on campus, which I started too late. Embrace the school and force yourself to drive that extra mile to get to campus. It's going to pay off later. 

As for me? Well I decided to stretch my schedule next semester to 4 days a week. It's a penalty that I'm willing to take to really get my mind back on track. I still haven't found the balance between my desire to exceed expectations and reality, and more time on campus may allow my mind to take a break from that whole ordeal.

Thanks for reading guys. I tried to keep it short! I will be back next week.

Til next time,