A Word to the Freshman!

Hello there! It's Andy here again. Back in business. It's been a rather "normal" week of school. Nothing exciting or anything haha. I guess that's what happens when you are a junior. I remember how excited I was when I was a freshman. I honestly should find something to do on campus. I will start doing that ASAP.

So the topic today pretty much is from what I wrote in the opening paragraph. I am going to now think back to when I was a freshman and tell you some of the things I don't regret doing and some of the things I do regret doing. Keep it in your minds!

I was a shy kid back then (still am). I didn't know how to approach someone the "right way" and I certainly couldn't keep a conversation going with someone. It was all a new experience for me because high school was a completely different atmosphere.

The difference between high school and college though, and you will find this out soon enough, is that everyone wants to get to know each other. It's a new experience for everybody at the freshman stage of college. I definitely regret not being as interactive as I could have been with people on campus. I used the "I'm a commuter" card too much to avoid interaction. Don't make the same mistake!

What I don't regret is joining a club like WUML Radio. It's been an amazing experience so far with some great people who really care about the station. I have learned a lot about college radio over the years and it reassured me that there are students out here that really are passionate about what they are doing or what they want to do. This is your best way of meeting people that will influence your life in a positive way. So please, I beg you, join a club of your interest. There are 100+ clubs on campus.

Did I ramble on too much? I didn't want to go on for too long. I am sitting here today thinking that I should have made more friends in the time period that I was given! So I am telling you guys now, that academics are important, but making friends are just as important in college. Make it an objective if you will. You will have a much higher quality college experience.

My next blog will be on night classes. I'll see you next time!

Follow me on Twitter or add me on Facebook! I'm always down for a nice talk!

Jack said:

Great post! This is so true. Success in college really comes from stepping out from behind personal fears and connecting with other people, through groups, clubs, work-study, or in class. And I totally agree -- the commuting culture has definitely hurt many universities that are trying to build a sense of community. It's not that students will ever stop commuting, it's just necessary to connect and engage with them directly. Very good points... Thanks