Commuting vs. Living on Campus

Hey everyone! I hope everyone had a great week. I am back here at UML, doing work in the English department. The Bruins won the Cup!!!! It was one of the greatest moments in my life watching all that unfold.

By now everyone should have a good idea of where they are attending school. It's always fun to hear where everyone goes. I know a few people that are attending UML so it's pretty cool to say the least! I'll make sure I give them the freshmen treatment. (Just kidding of course...I don't even know what freshmen treatment is!)

Having said that, it's never too early to discuss and plan out where you are living for college next year, whether you are attending UML or any other schools. It's essential for saving money and time, as well as increasing quality and consistency of studying. I have experienced the best of both worlds and I am here to tell you how to make a decision.

Now, if you are going out of state or it is a ridiculous distance to get to the school, commuting is out of the question. You can still live in apartments or live on campus. That decision could be hard, but if you are a freshmen, I have no doubt in my mind that you should live on campus. You will make friends quicker and will have a better time studying and enjoying yourself. Think about living off campus after freshmen year.

Now for those of you who live close enough to commute, that's where your big decision comes in. I live about an hour away from Lowell and I commuted to school for the whole sophomore year. People may think it's tiresome, but I was actually fine with it. It was a long drive early, sure, but once you get over that aspect, everything else about it rocked. I got to go back home into my comfort zone and I got to see my family on an everyday basis. I couldn't ask for much than that.

When I lived an apartment with my brother slightly off campus during my freshmen year, I thought there would be no problems. The reason I had to go this route is because of financial reasons. If you are one of those in financial trouble, I certainly feel your pain. But embrace what life has given you. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Just stick with it. Anyhow, I liked living off campus, but it was clear I couldn't make friends faster and I just didn't feel like I was part of the campus. Once I started participating in events and such, I felt much better about it.

Pretty much though, I had no choice but to be away from campus because of the situation I was in financially. But if you do have a choice, make the best of it. Commuting isn't bad at all. If you are willing to stay a little bit after classes to check out the recreational center or some of the clubs on campus, you will have no problem.

Many high school kids say that "they can't wait until they leave home," but that mindset will quickly change. Instead, try having the thoughts of "can't wait to experience new things ahead." Then you won't feel so homesick or careless about everything. If you know that you need guidance, you can always commute to keep yourself in check. If you are ready to embrace the college life full on, live on campus, it's always a good time.

Conclusion is that, commuting and living on campus are both good options. It's what you do with the opportunity that will make or break your decision.

Any comments, concerns or questions can be left below! Til then, have a great one!

Follow/message me at Facebook and Twitter! (My attempt at self promotion)