A story on campus: Fair or not fair?

Hey guys...long time no blog! Preparations for the final exams and final projects are driving me nuts. Hope you guys are holding your own!

So I decided to dedicate this blog to a story I heard from a friend's situation. It involves housing. I will keep the names anonymous and will try to explain the story in detail. You guys can then decide if this is fair for yourselves.

So this particular friend lives on school housing, in the apartments. The school has a renewal stage every year, where residents have to file for a renewal for the apartments, so they can come back next year if they wished. My friends wanted to come back. They were very aware of when the deadline was and what they had to do to file the application in. As you can probably guess, they missed the deadline and couldn't file.

Now this is where the story gets interesting. The friends realized that it was past the deadline after 17 hours of the deadline. So my friend quickly ran over to the Office of Residence Life to plead his case, but the final verdict was that there was no way they can change anything and that it was unfortunate.

My friend claims his RA didn't even remind him of the deadline [and he thinks that's part of their job]. So they have to look for private apartments for next year and will have to pay on a monthly basis.

What do you guys think? Is Residence Life being unreasonable? Is a 17 hour lateness a legitimate argument to why nothing can be done for students that have committed to school housing for 2 years? Or is it completely their fault? Should they be blamed 100% for forgetting an important deadline? It's a rhetorical question really. Be a judge for yourselves. =]

I will be back again with another story on campus on my next blog. Before I say goodbye, I'd like to congratulate my friend's younger brother for getting accepted into UMass Lowell and coming here! Congrats Alex!

Until next time,