Are you ready to be the prepared student?

Hey guys, it's Andy again with another blog. Hope you guys are staying warm in this cold weather. The spring semester isn't that far away. Whether that is good news to you guys or not, it's still something to be anticipating for as the days go by.

So then you may know that feeling, that feeling you get when you go back to school from a long vacation. The awkwardness, some weird feeling that says, "you're not ready to be back- at least not yet."

Well let's get rid of this feeling together my fellow college students, following three short simple steps. Effort is key to any of these steps.

1) Textbooks

Yes, textbooks cost a lot of money and for the less unfortunate students, it's another thing to deal with all in itself. Several ways to take care of this problem...or at least help it haha.

First, you want to check ratemyprofessors to see what students said about your professors. Some of them tell you that you don't need the textbook for a certain class. That is certainly a good sign. Don't bank on it though. Keep a mental note and a mental budget.

Second, don't buy textbooks before classes start. Wait for a couple classes to see what the professor demands. Then you have options. I cannot stress enough how many students I see in my classes pull out a shiny new textbook on the first day of class, all proud and everything. Half the time, they never touch it for the rest of the year.

Third, plan ahead to sell the books after you are done. It makes you feel better when you are actually spending fortunes to purchase the book. I personally use Amazon buyback to get some money back for the textbooks. I feel that much better.

2) Frequent Email+ISIS check ups

I know for a fact that some students don't even check their email during vacation. Terrible habit.

ISIS is good to check because it provides you critical updates about the school financially and academically. Keep on checking it, make it a habit. You never know when some important hold is going to pop up. It can really screw you over. Another important thing is that it provides you updates on your professor for the next semester. Sometimes they switch professors on you without notifying you, so it's up to you to check it constantly. I've already had it happen to me for the upcoming semester. I'm not happy.

I find the emails helpful for more social types of things around the campus. Even during vacation, you might end up getting important information anyway, so it's good to make it a habit and check it. A good example might be a professor emailing to tell you a change in room number or textbook.

Then, in the end, you will be updated on everything you need to know and won't feel left out!

3) Studying

Broad, I know. But hear me out.

I'm sure there was a subject that you weren't satisfied with last semester. You may never even see that subject again, but pull out the papers (if you still got 'em) and take a look. Quiz yourself again if you want. Patch your holes and weaknesses during vacation. Not only does it improve confidence, it also helps you develop and learn study habits. It carries over, trust me.

Now if it's a subject you know you will see again, I shouldn't even have to explain what you have to do next. Look, this is college. Don't blow it. One of your duty as a college student is to become an expert at your major. So put in the effort and you won't regret it later.

I know that was long but thanks for reading guys. I'll be back again sometime soon. Until then, keep these three steps in mind!