The Academic Pressures of College...Is it realistic?

Hey guys, Andy here.

I know I said that I'd write about the transportation this week, but I'll get to it next week. I got something on my mind.

I'm worried. I am having a hard time in Economics. Never really understood what is going on and honestly, I don't know how I am going to do in the finals. I'd say I'm a pretty good student. In my freshmen year, my GPA was 3.85 in the first semester, and a 3.4 in the second, amounting to a 3.55 GPA overall. So I do try and I want to be the best student I can be. But I am in the risk of not being able to repeat because of Economics. I want to do well, but sometimes it just doesn't go your way. That's where the leading question comes in.

Often times, we come out of high school thinking that college is the real deal, because it really is. People tell us all the time that we need to perform well academically, and that this is what decides your future. I understand that. I understand all of the importance. But what does that do to the students?

All of this leads to unnecessary pressure to the students to perform at a level in which they cannot handle. Personally, I think getting that high of a GPA in the beginning was the worst thing that could have happened to me. I got over confident and underestimated college.

The truth is, everyone wants to perform well academically. But it's not a bad thing if you are struggling in a class or two. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Grades are important, I understand that. But your mindset over the course of the four years in college needs to be screwed on straight. Don't tell yourself that you're gonna be great at everything you do. Human beings are not perfect.

As for those who enjoy the challenge and do excel in everything, congratulations. I am serious. You are a gifted individual. But for students like me, we need to know our limits and set realistic goals. I am not a bad student by any means, it just means that I won't be getting As and Bs all the time.

As far as the economics class is concerned, we only have one more exam left for the semester. I am aiming for a 90. I need to do well, but I realized that a little more focus and hard work will reflect upon my grade. Good grades just don't come to you, you earn it.

So earn it. And don't let the pressure get to you. I wish all of you luck in the last few weeks left in the semester. Let's get through it together and perform to our fullest capabilities!

If you have any comments, feel free to express them. I would love to hear from you all.