Radio Internship Experience

As I promised, I will tell you all about my first intern experience at the WUML radio station, the radio station of UMass Lowell students, fully operated by us. It was a blast to say the least.

Just to inform all of you, it is actually too late to join the station as an intern this semester. However, there is always next semester or next year to learn and enroll as an intern. I highly recommend it, it's only been 3 weeks of sessions, but I don't regret it one bit.

The experience started out at the media center under the lydon library. We have our weekly intern meetings there, and we were being assigned shows to intern at. I got my first choice, the show called "Sounds for the Unsound." It is on at 10 PM to 12 PM on Wednesday nights on 91.5 FM. It is an electronic music genre based show, and the show is very entertaining to say the least.

The guys I met were Eric and Tyler, and they explained some things about the station, and basically we talked about music for two hours. It was a refreshing time, as chances to meet new individuals don't come too often in such a hectic schedule. I got to be on the air a couple times, which was a totally new experience. That was some real excitement.

It's pretty amazing how quickly a person can get used to things. I usually don't sign up for things when it doesn't involve my friends, and I was very nervous about joining the radio station. Maybe I would quit after the first meeting, I thought. But as it went on, I found my own comfort zone, and interning on the live show was definitely the ice breaker. There are so many more things to come, and I am on my way to becoming a WUML DJ.

So think about it. You have nothing to lose by participating. It's something that the students of UML offer you, and it is a great experience. I highly recommend it to you  guys! Have a good one!

~Andy Hwang