January 2010 Archives
Having trouble uploading your images into Collage? Wondering why it takes so long for your task with new pictures in it to be approved or why they are a different size afterward? Let me explain and hopefully we can help each other.
Photos for the web should be: 72 dpi, 200 pixels wide (64 for a thumbnail), optimized for web, saved as a jpeg (.jpg) according to the University’s Standards Guide.
That said, if you don’t have Photoshop or a similar image manipulation program, this may be a little difficult for you to do. So you have a couple of options:
1. Email the photos to email@example.com and request that they be re-sized and optimized – make sure to tell us where you want them to go and what the name of the task in Collage that they are associated with.
2. Another option is to do #1 but also upload and place the original (non-optimized photos) on to a page in Collage – that way we know better where you want the new versions to go in the context of your page(s).
3. You can call the Help Desk @ 4357 and inquire about getting Photoshop installed on your computer and you can then re-size and optimize the pictures yourself and then upload them.
Once you’ve re-sized your photos it’s easy to upload them like any other file. For those directions check out this blog entry on uploading files within a task.
For further help with images please see these three blog entries that explain in further detail how to work with images in Collage:
- The Lord of the Picture Part I: Everything You Wanted to Know About Photos & Collage
- The Lord of the Picture Part II: Using Photoshop
- The Lord of the Picture Part III: Uploading Photos In Collage
The Public Affairs’ Web Services team is pleased to announce the purchase of a new web content management product, SDL Tridion. After months of research, review of proposals, campus committee demonstrations and product installation, Tridion was determined to be the best product to fit the needs of the campus. Tridion is well respected by Forrester and Gartner research groups and considered one of the world leaders in enterprise web content management. Web Services is confident that this is a robust product that can grow with the campus and its needs for years to come.
I would like to thank the campus committee members for their attendance at the demonstrations and willingness to participate in the hands-on review process. Their valuable feedback helped Web Services make the selection.
Tridion features include:
• The ability to make changes on what looks like the live web page –
(What You See Is What You Get or WYSIWIG)
• Red lining or version side-by-side comparisons
• Task approval through e-mail client
• Quicker deployment of changes
• Content dynamically generated
• Easy to reuse content in multiple locations
• More flexible template design
Web Services is coordinating with SDL Tridion for an implementation timeline to begin this semester. When this is finalized, it will be communicated to the campus. The implementation will be a gradual roll-out, like Serena Collage, and will mean that Web Services will be importing sites into Tridion while still maintaining existing sites in Collage. Please continue to make updates to your website in Collage until you are contacted by a member of the Web Services team.
Additionally, the website will be redesigned to incorporate many of the changes that have been requested by departments, as well as put into place the best practices recommended by the web strategy consultant. Sites launched in Tridion will have the redesigned template.
Changes to be included as part of the redesign:
• More flexible content areas with larger screen resolution to fit more content
• Increased video on top level and landing pages
• Social media feeds pushed to landing pages
• Flash designs
• Streamlined navigation
• “Explore” landing pages for colleges
Implementing a new product and launching a new design for nearly 200 websites across campus is a large undertaking that will take time to complete. All of these changes to the website will ultimately provide a better user experience for our internal and external visitors. We look forward to working with the campus to implement these changes and will continue to provide updates via UML Today.
Having trouble uploading new documents, pictures etc. inside a task? Or adding pages and files that are already inside Collage to a task. Here are some easy steps to make this a breeze.
1. Go to your Inbox in Collage and select a task you’ve already created by clicking on the blue highlighted name under the Task Name column. Otherwise create a new task by clicking on the New button.
2. Once inside the task click on Assets and you’ll see the screen with a list of assets (pages, files etc.) associated with your task. This will be empty until you add these to it.
This is what the empty assets list looks like.
3. To add a page or document that’s already in Collage click on Add. If you’re uploading something new skip ahead to # 8.
4. A pop up window will open and you’ll then navigate through the files to the appropriate page/file. Notice once you click on the file it will be added to the box on the bottom of the page.
5. Once you’ve selected all of the pages/files you wish to add click on OK. You will get a message saying the file(s) were successfully added to the task and they will show up under the assets list.
6. Now click on overview and then select the file you wish to edit from the Assets box by clicking on the file name highlighted in blue.
7. A pop up window will open with your file. Make the changes, save and preview them and when you’re done editing all of your files mark the task done and send it along for approval. You can mark it done by clicking on the done button, or by clicking on the little arrow to the right of the task name and then selecting done.
8. To UPLOAD A NEW DOCUMENT into the task first go into the assets page (see step #2)
9. Then click on upload. A pop up window will open.
10. From the new window, select the deploy folder you wish the new document to be uploaded to by clicking on the button at the end of that box. (This folder is where you’ll be able to find it in the future after you’re done using it in this task). Notice there is a RED ! and the end of the deploy folder line signifying that this step must be completed before continuing.
11. A new window entitled Select Deploy Folder will open. Navigate through the folders to the appropriate folder and select it. Keep in mind the files need to go into the appropriate folders in order to work – PDF’s etc. into documents folders, pictures into images folders etc.
12. Once you select the folder you’ll notice it’s added to the Deploy Folder line and the red! becomes a green check mark.
13. Now you need to actually upload the new document/image/file. Click on Add files.
14. Another window will open and you’ll need to click on Browse (next to another red !).
15. Yet another window will open, and you’ll need to navigate around on your computer to wherever the file you wish to upload has been saved. To make this easy you may just want to save the files to your desktop and always upload them from there.
16. Select the file and hit open.
17. Then hit "ok" on the Upload file screen.
18. Then you’ll need to hit upload on that first pop up window. However if you’re uploading more than 1 new file TO THE SAME FOLDER, click on add files and go back to step #13. Once you’re done click on upload.
19. The file will then be added to the assets list.
20. If you need to upload more new files, but to different folders, go back to step #9 and re-start until you have all of the files uploaded you want to.
21. (Go to step #6) Make your edits and mark your task done and send it along for approval.
Removing or Adding Users (Editors)
When Creating A New Task.
So it occurred to me after I wrote yesterday's entry about Removing or Adding Users (Editors) In A Task that I never really explained how to do it when you're creating a task from scratch. It's pretty much the same, but I figured a little clarification couldn't hurt. So buckle up and here we go...
1. Sign Into Collage
2. Go to your Inbox
3.Click on New to create a new task.
4. A New Task pop up window will open.
5. Select the Template for your department from the drop down menu. This is very important – selecting the wrong template or not selecting one at all can cause problems with your task.
5a. You can type the first letter of your department to jump to that part of the alphabet, or use the arrow to scroll down through the entire list.
6. Make sure to name the task something specific about what you plan to edit or do in the task. Notice the red exclamation point that this is required and you can not continue without naming the task.
Once you name the task the exclamation point will become a green check mark. Then add a description with more information about the edits etc. you plan to make. The more information you provide, the faster we can review and approve the content and the faster it will go live. Once you’re done click next.
7. Here’s where you add or remove the users. You should already be in the edit state. Check off the name or names of the users you want to get rid of and hit the Remove button. If you're adding a user instead of removing one skip down to #9.
7a. You can also remove multiple users to the task the same way as you added one, just select more than name and move them over to the box and then hit "ok" once you've selected all of the users you want to add.
7b. After hitting o.k. a pop up window titled Notify MAY open - you will need to write an explanation for the removal - it can be as simple as "removing user from task". Notice that it is required by the red exclamation point.
7c. After you type something in the exclamation point will change to a green check mark. Then hit o.k. You will not be able to remove the user without writing an explanation.
8. Once you're done removing any users (editors) click "Next".
9. To Add a user click on the Add button and a pop up window will open.
10. Type in the first couple of initials of the Collage User name of the person you want to add (mpu in my case) and it will jump to the person.
10a. You can also just type in the first letter to skip through the alphabet or you can scroll down.
11. Once you've found the person you want to, click the arrow button moving them into the box on the right side add hit OK.
12. You can also add multiple users to the task the same way as you added one, just select more than name and move them over to the box and then hit "ok" once you've selected all of the users you want to add.
12a. Note: You MAY have to fill out a notification message similar to the process outlined in steps 7b. and 7c.
13. Once you're done adding any users (editors) click "Next".
14. If you want to skip adding Assets (Pages) to edit, and skip to the end of this process - click on Finish.
14a. This is the point in which you will add the assets (pages) you want to edit. These can also be edit after the fact when you open your task to make the edits. Click on "Add".
15. A pop up window will open. You should see whatever folders you have access to. Navigate through those folders to the one that contains the page (s) you want to edit. Then click on the names of those files.
16. Notice that once you click on any assets they will be added to the box at the bottom of the window. NOTE: if you mistakenly click on any other pages while navigating through the folder list, those too will be added to your task. ANYTHING you click on (other than the folders themselves) in this step will be added to the task. When you're done click "OK".
17. Notice that whatever asset (page) you select will be added to the New Task - Assets screen. If you've forgotten to add an asset, click on Add and repeat the process. Once you're done click on "Finish".
18. This will end the process of Creating a New Task.
THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT: now you need to go back into your Inbox (see picture in step #2) and actually Open the Task.
19. Once you're in your Collage Inbox. Select the task you've just created and click on the blue name of it to open the task (listed under task name).
20. Now make whatever edits you need and mark the task done - sending it down the line for approval.
Removing and Adding Users
(from a task that you've already created)
So you've created a task and you realize you forgot to add or remove someone from the list of editors for the task or you selected the wrong template when you created the task and now you're stuck with a list of editors a mile long instead of just you. What do you do next? Elementary my dear Watson - just remove or add the editors in question.
1. Sign Into Collage
2. Go to your Inbox
3. Select the task you've already created and click on the blue name of it to open the task (listed under task name)
4. Once inside the task click on the edit button.
5. Check the name or names of the users you want to get rid of and hit the Remove button. If you're adding a user instead of removing one skip down to #6.
5a. You can also remove multiple users to the task the same way as you added one, just select more than name and move them over to the box and then hit "ok" once you've selected all of the users you want to add.
5b. After hitting o.k. a pop up window titled Notify will open - you will need to write an explanation for the removal - it can be as simple as "removing user from task". Notice that it is required by the red exclamation point.
5c. After you type something in the exclamation point will change to a green check mark. Then hit o.k. You will not be able to remove the user without writing an explanation.
This will return you to the Overview inside the task (see picture following #4).
6. To Add a user click on the Add button and a pop up window will open.
7. Type in the first couple of initials of the Collage User name of the person you want to add (mpu in my case) and it will jump to the person (or at least near their name in the alphabet).
7a. You can also just type in the first letter to skip through the alphabet or you can scroll down using the arrow like you would on any web etc. page.
8. Once you've found the person you want to, click the arrow button moving them into the box on the right side add hit OK.
9. You can also add multiple users to the task the same way as you added one, just select more than name and move them over to the box and then hit "ok" once you've selected all of the users you want to add.
9a. Note: You MAY have to fill out a notification message similar to the process outlined in steps 5b. and 5c.
10. Now make whatever edits you need and mark the task done - sending it down the line for approval.