Missing Links: Create an External Link Without Getting Lost in the Links Library
Many Collage users are frustrated with the links library, and rightly so. The links library is where users go to create or access an external link to include in their document. The links library in Collage stores some 15K links and is growing everyday, so given the sheer volume of links it can take up to five minutes to load the entire library.
To save unneeded aggravation, here’s a much faster way to create external links and avoid the links library entirely. For the record, an external link is a hyperlink to any web page that does not live within your folder in Collage.
Create External Links Outside the Links Library
1) Create a task in Collage, open the task and open the page you want to work on
2) Open a separate web browser and pull up the website or web page you want to link to
3) Place your cursor in the browser’s address bar
4) Use the keystroke “Ctrl + A” to select the entire URL, then hit “Ctrl + C” to copy the URL
5) Go back to the page you're working on in Collage
6) Place your cursor on the page where you want to place the link
7) Use keystroke “Ctrl + V” to paste the copied URL
8) Hit “Enter” to activate the link (the URL will now be blue and underlined)
9) Save your work
10) Switch to the “Preview” tab and double check your work; click on the new link to make sure it works correctly
Congratulations. You’ve created an external link without having to access the links library.
Create an Embedded Text Link
1) Highlight the new link with your cursor (to highlight: click and hold on the URL and drag the length of the URL and release)
2) Type the word or phrase you want embedded (like UMass Lowell from the example above)
NOTE: If the text you're adding is more than one word, DO NOT add spaces between words. This will break the embedded text link. Instead, type the phrase as one word. When you're done, go back, insert your cursor where you want spaces and hit the space bar to separate the words.
3) Save your work
4) Switch to the “Preview” tab and check your work
For some users, creating links using the above steps may seem more advanced, but with continued practice you should be able to master this shortcut and improve your efficiency in Collage.